can't send email

Bob

Hello.
I'm trying to send email using python 2.6.1 under snow leopard, but I
can't get it to work. I'm trying one of the many examples I found on
the web

EXAMPLE 1
import smtplib

fromaddr = '(e-mail address removed)'
toaddrs = '(e-mail address removed)'
msg = 'There was a terrible error that occured and I wanted you to
know!'

# Credentials (if needed)
username = 'username'
password = 'password'

# The actual mail send
server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com:587')
server.starttls()
server.login(username,password)
server.sendmail(fromaddr, toaddrs, msg)
server.quit()

EXAMPLE 2
# Import smtplib for the actual sending function
import smtplib

# Import the email modules we'll need
from email.mime.text import MIMEText

# Open a plain text file for reading. For this example, assume that
# the text file contains only ASCII characters.
fp = open(textfile, 'rb')
# Create a text/plain message
msg = MIMEText(fp.read())
fp.close()

# me == the sender's email address
# you == the recipient's email address
msg['Subject'] = 'The contents of %s' % textfile
msg['From'] = me
msg['To'] = you

# Send the message via our own SMTP server, but don't include the
# envelope header.
s = smtplib.SMTP()
s.sendmail(me, [you], msg.as_string())
s.quit()

The error I get is this

python email.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "email.py", line 2, in <module>
import smtplib
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/smtplib.py", line 46, in <module>
import email.utils
File "/Users/Bob/Code/email.py", line 5, in <module>
from email.mime.text import MIMEText
ImportError: No module named mime.text

I'm using the native python version installed by apple, so I don't
know why email and email.utils and mime are not found. I checked on
the filesystem and they are present...

Thanks

Chris Rebert

Hello.
I'm trying to send email using python 2.6.1 under snow leopard, but I
can't get it to work. I'm trying one of the many examples I found on
the web
The error I get is this

python email.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "email.py", line 2, in <module>
   import smtplib
 File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/smtplib.py", line 46, in <module>
   import email.utils
 File "/Users/Bob/Code/email.py", line 5, in <module>
   from email.mime.text import MIMEText
ImportError: No module named mime.text

I'm using the native python version installed by apple, so I don't
know why email and email.utils and mime are not found. I checked on
the filesystem and they are present...

Your /Users/Bob/Code/email.py file is shadowing the std lib "email"
module. Rename your file to something else so that it no longer
conflicts.

Cheers,
Chris

Bob

Your /Users/Bob/Code/email.py file is shadowing the std lib "email"
module. Rename your file to something else so that it no longer
conflicts.

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com

yes I just realized that... it works now!! thanks

Ned Deily

[...]
The error I get is this

python email.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "email.py", line 2, in <module>
import smtplib
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/smtplib.py", line 46, in <module>
import email.utils
File "/Users/Bob/Code/email.py", line 5, in <module>
from email.mime.text import MIMEText
ImportError: No module named mime.text

Your module email.py is hiding the standard library's email package.
Rename your file from email.py to something that doesn't conflict.