Case sensitive login

Paolo Niccolò Giubelli [Axettone]

Is it possible to make the login process case sensitive?
I want to make the user 'bob' unable to logon if he types 'BoB' or if he
does the same with the password.
Thank you in advance!

Scott M.

What "login process" are you referring to? A pre-canned one or one of your
own?

Since logging in requires the user name and password to be checked against a
stored user name and password, we are really talking about comparing a
string against a string. Since strings are literals, you get case-sensitive
checking by default. If you don't want case-sensitivity, then you convert
all the strings involved to all upper or all lower case so that case won't
matter.

Guest

I might be going out a limb here, but passwords are case sensitive, whereas
user names are not. I'm sure you have a perfectly valid reason for wanting
this functionality, but IMHO most users have come to expect that user names
in most cases aren't case sensitive, and in most cases passwords are.

Paolo Niccolò Giubelli [Axettone]

Uhm... I think you're right... Maybe I'll try to edit some of the asp.net
stored procedures.

Dominick Baier

you can download the source code for the sql membership provider - and have
a look...

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/13/442772.aspx

-----

--
Carsten Thomsen
Senior .NET Solutions Architect / Developer / Author