CGIHTTPServer webserver running php scripts

Discussion in 'Python' started by mpc, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. mpc

    mpc Guest

    hello,
    how does one run a PHP page with a python webserver?

    Lets say i have a simple python web server running
    /path/webserver.py
    #!/usr/bin/env
    python
    from BaseHTTPServer import HTTPServer
    from CGIHTTPServer import CGIHTTPRequestHandler
    serve = HTTPServer(("",8080),CGIHTTPRequestHandler)
    serve.serve_forever()

    Also lets say i am interested in hosting a simple.php in the cgi-bin
    directory.
    /path/cgi-bin/simple.php
    <head>
    <title>A simple php script.</title>
    </head>
    <? print(Date("1 F d, Y")); ?>

    The webserver starts up and hosts html and python cgi's just fine
    but nothing will come up when we go to http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/simple.php

    I get the following errors.
    with normal user
    localhost:path user$ python webserver.py
    localhost - - [15/Sep/2008 16:17:59] "GET /cgi-bin/example.php HTTP/
    1.1" 200 -
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
    python2.5/CGIHTTPServer.py", line 251, in run_cgi
    os.execve(scriptfile, args, os.environ)
    OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error
    localhost - - [15/Sep/2008 16:17:59] CGI script exit status 0x7f00

    localhost:path user$ sudo python webserver.py
    Password:
    localhost - - [15/Sep/2008 16:18:29] "GET /cgi-bin/example.php HTTP/
    1.1" 200 -
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
    python2.5/CGIHTTPServer.py", line 251, in run_cgi
    os.execve(scriptfile, args, os.environ)
    OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

    Is there something I can add to my python webserver so that it will
    properly run php files?

    mpc, Sep 15, 2008

  2. It seems you have to set the executable permission on your php file. I
    suppose you have php set up for cgi and the shebang line in your php
    file? From a cursory glance through CGIHTTPServer.py it seems that it
    should work.

    Michael Palmer, Sep 16, 2008