Changing filenames from Greeklish => Greek (subprocess complain)

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/metrites.py in ()
217 template = htmldata + counter
218 elif page.endswith('.py'):
=> 219 htmldata = subprocess.check_output( '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/' + page )
220 template = htmldata.decode('utf-8').replace( 'Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8', '' ) + counter
221
htmldata undefined, subprocess = <module 'subprocess' from '/opt/python3/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py'>, subprocess.check_output = <function check_output>, page = 'files.py'
/opt/python3/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py in check_output(timeout=None, *popenargs=('/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py',), **kwargs={})
584 retcode = process.poll()
585 if retcode:
=> 586 raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args, output=output)
587 return output
588
global CalledProcessError = <class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>, retcode = 1, process = <subprocess.Popen object>, process.args = '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py', output = b'Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8\n\n<bod...n position 74: surrogates not allowed\n\n-->\n\n'
CalledProcessError: Command '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py' returned non-zero exit status 1
args = (1, '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py')
cmd = '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py'
output = b'Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8\n\n<bod...n position 74: surrogates not allowed\n\n-->\n\n'
returncode = 1
with_traceback = <built-in method with_traceback of CalledProcessError object>

The above error message happened when i tried to reanme one of my filenamesfrom

its greeklish name to greek charcters.

files.py is a script that allows users to downlaod fiels form my server.
But i wish to presnt filename sin Greek and not in Greeklish

http://superhost.gr/?page=files.py
as it is now.

What can i do to make pth script accept greek filenames too?
Why does subprocess is complaining?

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 1 Éïõíßïõ 2013 6:44:36 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò Ýãñáøå:
[...]

i tried encode and decode

elif page.endswith('.py'):
htmldata = subprocess.check_output( '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/' + page )
template = htmldata.decode('utf-8') + counter

bu still same error when i rename a filename with greek letters.

Any ideas? is this a bug?

Giorgos Tzampanakis

The above error message happened when i tried to reanme one of my
filenames from

its greeklish name to greek charcters.

files.py is a script that allows users to downlaod fiels form my server.
But i wish to presnt filename sin Greek and not in Greeklish

http://superhost.gr/?page=files.py
as it is now.

What can i do to make pth script accept greek filenames too?
Why does subprocess is complaining?

You are not offering enough information, because you have not posted the
contents of your files.py script. Thus it's difficult to help you. Please
post your code to pastebin or somewhere similar because posting long lines
on usenet is considered bad etiquette.

Also, few here know what "greeklish" means, and most of us who know would
like to forget.

Mark Lawrence

You are not offering enough information, because you have not posted the
contents of your files.py script. Thus it's difficult to help you. Please
post your code to pastebin or somewhere similar because posting long lines
on usenet is considered bad etiquette.

I would much prefer to have a code snippet that shows the problem
inline. Plus, what happens in six months time if someone finds this
thread but can't find the code online as it's expired?

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence

David

I would much prefer to have a code snippet that shows the problem
inline. Plus, what happens in six months time if someone finds this
thread but can't find the code online as it's expired?

I agree, and this is also the policy enforced in freenode #bash.
Please do not encourage people to pastebin entire scripts, because
very few people will bother to read them. The ideal approach is to
post a minimal code snippet that allows us to comprehend or reproduce
the problem. This encourages the question to be well-framed. Otherwise
idiots will dump their entire scripts into a pastebin and write to us
"why it not work?".

Nobody

CalledProcessError: Command '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py' returned non-zero exit status 1
args = (1, '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py')
cmd = '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/files.py'
output = b'Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8\n\n<bod...n position 74: surrogates not allowed\n\n-->\n\n'
returncode = 1
with_traceback = <built-in method with_traceback of CalledProcessError object>

The traceback indicates that files.py terminated with a non-zero exit
code, indicating an error.

And that's *all* that can be determined from the information which you
have posted.

If you want to solve the problem, you'll need to make files.py generate
useful error messages, then capture them.

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 10:01:50 ð.ì.. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Giorgos Tzampanakis Ýãñáøå:

OK George, nd the rest fo the guys here it is the snippet of files.py responsible to print the greek filenames:

for row in data:
(url, hits, host, lastvisit) = row
shorturl = url.replace( '/home/nikos/www/data/apps/', '' )
lastvisit = lastvisit.strftime('%A %e %b, %H:%M')

print('''
<form method="get" action="cgi-bin/files.py">
</form>
''' % (shorturl, hits, host, lastvisit) )

and here is the the metrites.py snipper that calls files.py via subproccessto run:

if page.endswith('.html'):
with open('/home/nikos/public_html/' + page, encoding='utf-8') as f:
htmldata = f.read()
htmldata = htmldata % (quote, music)
template = htmldata + counter
elif page.endswith('.py'):
htmldata = subprocess.check_output( '/home/nikos/public_html/cgi-bin/' + page )
template = htmldata.decode('utf-8') + counter

print( template )

Giorgos Tzampanakis

On 2013-06-02, Îικόλαος ΚοÏÏας wrote:

[snip unreadable code]

Okay, this sounds like a homework exercise. Also, it doesn't appear like
you've spent any amount of time researching a solution yourself.

Mark Lawrence

On 2013-06-02, Îικόλαος ΚοÏÏας wrote:

[snip unreadable code]

Okay, this sounds like a homework exercise. Also, it doesn't appear like
you've spent any amount of time researching a solution yourself.

You've obviously arrived very late at the party.

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker
commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe.

Mark Lawrence

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 5:36:57 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Giorgos Tzampanakis Ýãñáøå:
On 2013-06-02, Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò wrote:

[snip unreadable code]

Okay, this sounds like a homework exercise. Also, it doesn't appear like
you've spent any amount of time researching a solution yourself.

I have spent days looking for a solution to this.
Why you say it is unreadable?
What is it that you do not understand?

What would you want to be shown?

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 5:51:31 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Mark Lawrence Ýãñáøå:
You've obviously arrived very late at the party.

Apart from the "funny" commenting, can you for once contribute towards to an actual solution or this is the best you can do to prove yourself smart inhere by talking down on me?

Chris Angelico

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 5:51:31 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Mark Lawrence Ýãñáøå:

Apart from the "funny" commenting, can you for once contribute towards toan actual solution or this is the best you can do to prove yourself smart in here by talking down on me?

What makes you think you can demand that we contribute to your problems?

I'm serious. Why do you feel entitled to assistance, when you won't
even put some effort into your posts? You loudly proclaim that you've
"spent days looking for a solution" to some problem, yet you can't
spend thirty seconds polishing your post before you hit Send?

I call bogus (others may use some other b-word) on the whole "spent
days" bit. If you had, you'd have found something.

ChrisA

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 6:15:16 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:
What makes you think you can demand that we contribute to your problems?

I'am an OP like everybody else in here and i don't demand anything.
But ome people instead of being helpfull or even ignore, think its better to belittle me. You are a special case, because you do both(you ahve actually provided me hits manh times), but that is not the case of some other regulars.
I'm serious. Why do you feel entitled to assistance, when you won't
even put some effort into your posts? You loudly proclaim that you've
"spent days looking for a solution" to some problem, yet you can't
spend thirty seconds polishing your post before you hit Send?

I'm clipping my posts from googles '/n' addition and i'am quoating too.
I call bogus (others may use some other b-word) on the whole "spent
days" bit. If you had, you'd have found something.

Yes i have and i wasn't able to find something other that this maybe be a bug.
If i had i wouldn't be asking here.

Mark Lawrence

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 5:51:31 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Mark Lawrence Ýãñáøå:

Apart from the "funny" commenting, can you for once contribute towards to an actual solution or this is the best you can do to prove yourself smart in here by talking down on me?

The only thing I'll contribute is that if you're looking to run a
commercial venture, you wouldn't be the last on my list for services,
you'd never get on it.

Further I'll point out that you never give any indication at all of ever
doing any research before you ask a question. You simply fire off email
after email in the hope that you'll get a response. Luckily for you a
substantial number of people have come to your rescue. Unfortunately
for you, you've exhausted the patience of a number who might well have
been extremely helpful *IF* you'd put in a little effort. That is just
too much to ask of course.

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker
commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe.

Mark Lawrence

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 6:24:10 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Mark Lawrence Ýãñáøå:
The only thing I'll contribute is that if you're looking to run a
commercial venture, you wouldn't be the last on my list for services,
you'd never get on it.

I wouldn't want you as i client either.
Further I'll point out that you never give any indication at all of ever
doing any research before you ask a question. You simply fire off email
after email in the hope that you'll get a response. Luckily for you a
substantial number of people have come to your rescue. Unfortunately
for you, you've exhausted the patience of a number who might well have
been extremely helpful *IF* you'd put in a little effort. That is just
too much to ask of course.

*IF* ?
So, you think i'm not putting any effort?

Almost always i post out snippets of what i have tried in my numerous attempts to solve some issue i've encountered.

Putting forward effort and being able to actually solve a problem is two difeerent things.

Where is your attemps to provide an actual help to me for once
It is not obligatory of course but a matter of good will, but instead of doing that, you choose not only to not help or at least ignore, but consistently making fun at my expense.

Mark Lawrence

On 02/06/2013 16:36, Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò wrote
*IF* ?
So, you think i'm not putting any effort?

Almost always i post out snippets of what i have tried in my numerous attempts to solve some issue i've encountered.

Putting forward effort and being able to actually solve a problem is two difeerent things.

Where is your attemps to provide an actual help to me for once
It is not obligatory of course but a matter of good will, but instead of doing that, you choose not only to not help or at least ignore, but consistently making fun at my expense.

I don't think, I know. How can you be putting in any effort when you
give yourself no thinking time? When you ask for a response maybe two
hours after you've first posted? Basically you're using this group as a
*FREE* technical support service. If you want something done to suit
you, either put the effort in first, show some patience, or *PAY* for
support.

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker
commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe.

Mark Lawrence

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 6:55:31 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Mark Lawrence Ýãñáøå:
I don't think, I know. How can you be putting in any effort when you
give yourself no thinking time? When you ask for a response maybe two
hours after you've first posted? Basically you're using this group as a
*FREE* technical support service. If you want something done to suit
you, either put the effort in first, show some patience, or *PAY* for
support.

Certainly *not you*, since you not proven yourself knowlengeable to me or in the case you are, certainly not helpfull but ironic instead.

This is a a *free* python list.
Everybody receiving help in here does nto have to pay. this might be a simple trick like the other issues i had with the pymysql connector where it needed 'charser='utf8'' instead of 'charser='utf-8'' which is what i was trying. Couldn't think of the dash because in any other case i happened to make use of 'utf-8' in my scripts, it was mentioned with a dash inside the statements like:

print( '''Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8\n''' open('/home/nikos/public_html/' + page, encoding='utf-8') as f:

So i assumed, 'charset=utf-8' too, didn't occured to me an other symbolism.

Paying for someone to just remove a dash to get the script working is too much to ask for, but paying for someone from this list to convert my scriptsto Django, and i will at some point because this site advertises webhosting is logically. I want the scripts to user latest versions of python and the best code it can be done so, to be quick and functional.

I cannot of course expect someone to do the conversion for me for free.

Chris Angelico

Paying for someone to just remove a dash to get the script working is toomuch to ask for

One dash: 1c
Knowing where to remove it: $99.99
Total bill: $100.00

Knowing that it ought really to be "utf8mb4" and giving hints that the
docs should be read rather than just taking this simple example and
plugging it in: Priceless.

ChrisA

Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 7:31:25 ì.ì.UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:
One dash: 1c
Knowing where to remove it: $99.99
Total bill: $100.00
Knowing that it ought really to be "utf8mb4" and giving hints that th
docs should be read rather than just taking this simple example and
plugging it in: Priceless.

I agree.
So how much to solve this issue too Chris?
And would you spare me the charge for the dash(-) problem which you pointedout and solved? :)

Chris Angelico

Ôç ÊõñéáêÞ, 2 Éïõíßïõ 2013 7:31:25 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:

I agree.
So how much to solve this issue too Chris?
And would you spare me the charge for the dash(-) problem which you pointed out and solved? :)

A programmer chooses his own clients, and you are the Atherton Wing to
my Inara Serra.

ChrisA