changing the metatags of masterpage from content page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sinan Alkan, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. Sinan Alkan

    Sinan Alkan Guest

    In a master page --> content page system, is it possible to change the
    "description" and "keywords" meta tags of the master page from content page
    ?

    I am trying as follows, from content page....

    HtmlMeta fordesc = new HtmlMeta();
    fordesc.Name = "keywords";
    fordesc.Content = "word1, word2, word3";
    Header.Controls.Add(fordesc);
    }

    But it adds second "keywords" metatag sentence to the page .
    How can i just replace or change tags of the master-pages's ?

    Thanks in advance...

    PS: I'm using c# and framework 2.0

    Sinan Alkan, Sep 17, 2008

  2. I don't know a whole lot about metatags, but I do know that the Add method
    is used for appending to a collection, not replacing individual items. What
    you basically need to do if you want to replace the metatags is one of the
    following:

    1. Don't include any metatags in the master page itself, and add all of them
    dynamically in the content pages

    2. Call the Header.Controls.Clear() method before dynamically adding the
    metatags in the content page

    3. In the master page's metatags include id and runat="server" attributes so
    that you can remove them before adding another metatag in the content page

    Note that when using the first two options you will need to add ALL metatags
    in the content page. Hopefully this helps.

    Nathan Sokalski, Sep 17, 2008