Chart drawing library for Python

Harry George

Hello,

is there something like "JpGraph" for python ?
For those who don't know this PHP library: It is a high level
drawing library that generates gif files with all kind of charts.

Or (maybe better) is there a C library doing this. I think i
read about something like this a while ago.

To generate jpg's and png's (maybe gif's):

binding for plotutils:
http://biggles.sourceforge.net/libplot/

binding for gnuplot:
http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/

gdchart has a python binding (which I can't bring up right now). Here
is gdchart's own page.
http://www.fred.net/brv/chart/

Also, some people use "R" for fancy charts, and R has a python binding:
http://www.R-project.org/
http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/index.html

Lothar Scholz

Hello,

is there something like "JpGraph" for python ?
For those who don't know this PHP library: It is a high level
drawing library that generates gif files with all kind of charts.

Or (maybe better) is there a C library doing this. I think i
read about something like this a while ago.

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi,
is there something like "JpGraph" for python ?
For those who don't know this PHP library: It is a high level
drawing library that generates gif files with all kind of charts.

Or (maybe better) is there a C library doing this. I think i
read about something like this a while ago.

there has been a thread about this lately: Many people (including me) use
graphviz for that. As long as you don't need interactivity, it does a
really great job.

Diez

Diez B. Roggisch

Diez said:
Hi,

there has been a thread about this lately: Many people (including me) use
graphviz for that. As long as you don't need interactivity, it does a
really great job.

Oops - got confused by the name JpGraph - AFAIK charts aren't the subject of
graphviz....

Diez

Erwin S. Andreasen

is there something like "JpGraph" for python ?
For those who don't know this PHP library: It is a high level
drawing library that generates gif files with all kind of charts.

I've used gdchart previously but these days I use ChartDirector which,
although being a commercial program ($99), was well-worth the money
for me.

It produces high-quality charts, is very flexible (e.g. you can
overlay different chart types, add custom symbols, produce HTML image
maps) and has excellent bindings for Python and many languages.

Also, I've found the support to be unusually friendly, accurate and
fast. The documentation is good enough so you won't need it much (and
customised to each language too, with something like 100 examples).

Some samples:
http://www.advsofteng.com/gallery.html

Lothar Scholz

Erwin S. Andreasen said:
I've used gdchart previously but these days I use ChartDirector which,
although being a commercial program ($99), was well-worth the money
for me.

It produces high-quality charts, is very flexible (e.g. you can
overlay different chart types, add custom symbols, produce HTML image
maps) and has excellent bindings for Python and many languages.

Also, I've found the support to be unusually friendly, accurate and
fast. The documentation is good enough so you won't need it much (and
customised to each language too, with something like 100 examples).

Some samples:
http://www.advsofteng.com/gallery.html

Thanks. I would buy it but there are two problems: First it is US$
499 when i use it in a program and then there is only a precompiled
library for LINUX. It's okay to get a precompiled library for windows.
But my experiences with binary Linux API changes are really bad, on
for this i can only accept source code, at least when i pay US$ 499.
And the footprint of the library seems also to be a little bit high
with 3 MB.

Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Try PyCha

Try PyCha using Cairo drawing library binding. It's simple yet powerful chart library.

bitbucket.org/lgs/pycha/wiki/Home

itprolife.worona.eu/2008/01/looking-for-simple-python-chart-library.html