Classic ASP question

Mark

Hi all, I have a .NET webservice which I would like to consume from a
classic ASP page.

Furthermore, I would like to populate a recordset (if possible) with the
data from the returned webservice so I can implement paging in the classic
ASP page...

Does anyone have any idea if I can do this, and if so, how I would go about
implementing it?
TIA
Mark

David Browne

Mark said:
Hi all, I have a .NET webservice which I would like to consume from a
classic ASP page.

Furthermore, I would like to populate a recordset (if possible) with the
data from the returned webservice so I can implement paging in the classic
ASP page...

Does anyone have any idea if I can do this, and if so, how I would go
about
implementing it?

Easiest way would be to create a COM object in .NET to talk to the web
service and build the recordset.

David

Mark

Hi David, thanks for your help but unfortunately, I do not have the ability
to register COM objects on the server.

Cheers
Mark

David Browne

Mark said:
Hi David, thanks for your help but unfortunately, I do not have the
ability
to register COM objects on the server.

Cheers
Mark

Ok,

If you are stuck using VBScript, then use MSXML to build the SOAP request
XML, POST it, and read the response.

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/nettricks/archive/2003/12/23/4904.aspx

But this requires several things which are far from easy
-coding in VBScript
-Manually building SOAP requests in XML
-Using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP library to talk to the other web server
-Manually reading SOAP responses in XML

David

Mark

Hi David, thanks, Yes I thought that this would be the only way to do
things. It's been so long since I did classic ASP :)
Thanks again
Mark

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

You could consider moving the whole logic client side and fetching the
webservice results using javascript. Theres an example of calling a page
here - and a web service is just a page that returns xml really.

http://www.rgagnon.com/jsdetails/js-0035.html

You would need to work out how to convert/parse the returned data to an xml
data island, or a javascript array and use that to do your paging. Perhaps
Sourceforges SAX parser would help.

http://xmljs.sourceforge.net/website/documentation-sax.html

Of course I've not tried any of this, theoretically it should work.

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP