    From: Patrick Lynch [mailto:]=20
    Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:01 AM
    To: ruby-talk ML
    Subject: Re: Classic Computer Science Books

    ...if you are into compilers, you'll like the 'Dragon Book', 'Principles of=
    =20
    Compiler Design' by Alfred V. Aho and Jeffrey D. Ullman...1977

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    Avdi Grimm, Jun 12, 2011

  3. Hey Stu,
    I am quite sure K&R is one, but since a lot of people had already
    mentioned it, I didn't bother. Gregory Brown's Ruby Best Practices
    influenced my Ruby a lot.

    I started programming in 8th grade with Robert Lafore's Object
    Oriented Programming in C++, and a year later Deitel and Deitel's Java
    How To Program. But it doesn't really count for much more than
    sentimental value at this point.

    Apart from this I am not sure if a book has influenced me so much that
    it changed the way I program. Its mostly been people who have
    influenced me such, like one of my surrogate mentors in the previous
    summer of code. But then I must admit, I haven't read a lot either, or
    written loads of code. I am still very much learning :).

    I can add two more books to the list that I like a lot though:
    Kernighan and Pike's The Practice of Programming, and Peter Siebel's
    Coders at Work. I learned from them a lot, and consider them a keeper.

    Anurag Priyam, Jun 13, 2011
  4. Stu

    Vinícius Guest

    Wow, those are a lot of books, as a beginner programmer, I don't have
    a clue where to start from.

    Vinícius, Jun 14, 2011
  5. I'd recommend How To Design Programs [http://www.htdp.org/] as an
    excellent first book. The authors have years of experience in teaching
    computer science and programming, and have clearly put a lot of
    thought into the presentation and development of the material.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Jun 14, 2011
  6. Wow, those are a lot of books, as a beginner programmer, I don't have
    Practice of Programming.

    Anurag Priyam, Jun 14, 2011
  7. Stu

    Stu Guest

    The Practice of Programming is a great book. Definitely worthy of
    being in ones personal library.

    Stu, Jun 14, 2011
  8. Stu

    Vinícius Guest

    Hey, I'm gonna check the links above

    Thanks in advance!

    Vinícius, Jun 14, 2011
  9. Stu

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    I'm not interested in C or UNIX and I've learned almost all of the languages
    I know just from the vendor (usually IBM) reference manuals. Dry but
    effective and damn well written until about a decade or so ago.

    The few books I have on programming topics I wouldn't part with are Gilman &
    Rose's "A Programming Language" and Griswold, Poage, and Polonsky's "The
    SNOBOL4 Programming Language" (so-called Green Book, because of its cover
    and now available on line). Because those languages are such departures from
    "traditional" languages, whatever that means to most people, I think they're
    worth looking into no matter what platform you program on. They will change
    the way you think about solving problems if you don't already know APL and
    SNOBOL4. I

    Nomen Nescio, Jun 16, 2011
  10. Stu

    Stu Guest

    There is a classic series online called "How to Think Like a Computer Scien=
    tist"

    You can use those to not only get some theory but also get into the
    syntax of the languages in which you may be interested. Though the
    ruby one of not complete you can use one of the other languages to
    bridge the knowledge to ruby. I believe the book is available for
    Java, C++, and Python. The Ruby one is apparently stillborn.

    This series is "free" online with both html and pdf available. They
    are canonical and pedagogical for beginners. This is a good place to
    start IMHO.

    Stu, Jun 16, 2011
  11. Please define "free". Available as pirated copies, or in some format
    that is a non-OSS/non-CC license, or what?

    --=20
    Phillip Gawlowski

    =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Leibnitz

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  12. Stu

    Ryan Davis Guest

    Google quickly shows:

    http://greenteapress.com/thinkapjava/

    which says:
    Documentation License. Readers are free to copy and distribute the text; =
    they are also free to modify it, which allows them to adapt the book to =
    different needs, and to help develop new material.

    Ryan Davis, Jun 16, 2011
  13. Stu

    Stu Guest

    Free as in Freedom =3D)

    As in Richard Stallman's definition of "Free"

    Stu, Jun 16, 2011
  14. Which isn't very free, just a cage in a different colour. ;)

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  15. Stu

    Stu Guest

    This is correct. If you read the book your obligated to become
    altruistic with the information you acquired from it and share with
    your neighbor.

    I am truly impressed how Stallman turned existing EULA contract law
    against itself. Very clever if you think about it. if it's to
    restrictive or utopian for you consider BSD licensed documentation for
    any books you want to write.

    Some FUD for your pleasure:
    https://mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/open_source_is_communism.jpg

    All joking aside if someone is also new to the variations of open
    source and proprietary software licenses take the time to see what is
    already out there and the differences with all of them.

    ~Stu

    Stu, Jun 17, 2011