client-side cache vs server-side cache vs ajax vs asp.net callback

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I just went into a debate with my colleague regarding these technologies. I
    think they are not the same:

    At a high-level...
    Client-side caching is to do with temporary internet file and the 'check for
    newer verions of stored pages' setting in Internet Explorer
    Server-side caching is to do with asp.net and IIS. It instructs how IIS
    should fetch pages (e.g. depend on parameters, by time)
    ajax, which I am still learning, is a combination of technologies e.g.
    dhtml, xml, javascript. It only do a 'http get', using javascript, of the
    relevant part of a page.
    callbacks also uses javascript but 'http post' the whole page, similar to
    the traditional "post back"?

    Could someone please verified...

    Thanks

    Guest, Mar 8, 2006

  2. all ur assessments are pretty accurate. There are many different
    implementations of ajax though. AJAX.NET does what you describe, while
    MagicAjax and Atlas sorta sit between a pull page submit and a quick hit...

    Karl

    Karl Seguin [MVP], Mar 8, 2006