Code execution in imported modules

Eric Wertman

So I'm working on some file parsing and building up a stack of regular
expressions that I need to use. I was thinking of dropping them in an
external module. I was wondering.. if I put them in a file called
regex.py like so :

import re

re1 = "..
re2 = "..

and then do:

rgx1 = re.compile(re1)
rgx2 = re.compile(re2)

and, in my script, parse.py py I do:

from regex import *

text = "bunch of stuff......."

m = rgx1.search(text)

Does the re get compiled when I import it, or every time I call it?
Since I'm calling it often, I'd like to compile it once.

Thanks!

Hans Nowak

Eric said:
So I'm working on some file parsing and building up a stack of regular
expressions that I need to use. I was thinking of dropping them in an
external module. I was wondering.. if I put them in a file called
regex.py like so :

import re

re1 = "..
re2 = "..

and then do:

rgx1 = re.compile(re1)
rgx2 = re.compile(re2)

and, in my script, parse.py py I do:

from regex import *

text = "bunch of stuff......."

m = rgx1.search(text)

Does the re get compiled when I import it, or every time I call it?
Since I'm calling it often, I'd like to compile it once.

It is compiled when you import the module.