Commercial or Famous Applicattions.?

Jorge Biquez

Hello all.

Newbie question. Sorry.

Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
not know they are done with Python?

I had a talk with a friend, "PHP-Only-Fan", and he said (you know the
schema of those talks) that "his" language is better and that "just
to prove it" there are not too many applications done with Python
than the ones done with PHP and that "that of course is for
something". That conversation , that by the way I guess is useless at
all , makes me thing the idea of ask of applications done with
Python. Not for debate the argument of that guy BUT to learn what can
be done with Python. In grphical interface, schemas of jobs, etc. I
know that there are tons of solutions but would like to hear of
possible about the ones you have used most or recommend the most.

As an example, I love and have used in the last years MAILMAN, never
crashed, always works even on my small and old Intel Pentium III with
a 10GB hard disk and 640KB of RAM. Still working and will work for
sure (running under FreeBsd by the way).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jorge Biquez

alex23

Jorge Biquez said:
Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
not know they are done with Python?

http://python.org/about/success/

This comes up semi-regularly so you might be able to find more
examples in past threads.

rantingrick

Commenting on which language is better than "this one" or which
language boasts the most achievements is nothing more than time very
poorly spent. Some people will find Python to be the best thing since
sliced bread (and i am one of them!), however others will find Python
to be the worst language they ever used (thankfully very few!). These
are nothing more than personal opinions and you must leave them at
that level. Because as they say...

"Opinions are like sphincters -- everybody has at least one"

.... or something like that i suppose :)

Seebs

Commenting on which language is better than "this one" or which
language boasts the most achievements is nothing more than time very
poorly spent.

This is mostly true, but I don't think it's entirely true.

It is certainly possible for someone else's language choices to
affect me (if I get called in to fix their code). And as a result, I do
try to do at least a little language advocacy. Specifically, I try to
steer people away from PHP. I can live with just about everything else.

-s

rantingrick

On 2010-11-09, rantingrick <[email protected]> wrote:
It is certainly possible for someone else's language choices to
affect me (if I get called in to fix their code).  And as a result, I do
try to do at least a little language advocacy.  Specifically, I try to
steer people away from PHP.  I can live with just about everything else..

True and i agree with your statements however i was alluding more to
the fact that there exist no true winner in the battle of languages.
Just as there exists no winners in the battle of composers. You can
say "Hey this of group of talented fellows really shines above the
rest". However you can NEVER say that "This specific fellow shines
above the group of talented fellows". Can you compare the expansive
depth and melodic genius of Chopin to the explosive (almost vengeful!)
energy of Ludwig van Beethoven? How how about Rachmaninoff to Liszt?
But yea i must agree... PHP... :p"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jorge said:
... there are not too many applications done with Python
than the ones done with PHP ...

PHP is only used for server-side Web applications, nothing else. Python is
used for lots of things, on and off the Web.

Kevin Walzer

Hello all.

Newbie question. Sorry.

Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that are
well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do not know
they are done with Python?

There are several on the Mac:

Checkout, a POS program:
http://checkoutapp.com/

EagleFiler, a file organizer:
http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/

Phynchronicity, a GUI for Fink package manager:
http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity.html

QuickWho, a whois search tool:
http://www.codebykevin.com/quickwho.html

I'm also sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

--Kevin

Grant Edwards

Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
not know they are done with Python?

I'm not sure how much the "public in general" knows about it, but one
I ran across recently is OpenERP:

http://www.openerp.com/

It's a complete CRM/purchasing/HR/Accouting/Inventory/etc. system for
businesses.

Other programs I've used that I noticed were written in Python:

Freevo (PVR/DVR HTPC media center)

bittorrent (the original apps)

RedHat's installer and some admin utils.

Gentoos "emerge" build system.

meld (source code diff/merge tool)

skencil (vector drafting program)

bitpim (cellphone data synch app)

PyNeighborhood (network neighborhood browser)

I'm sure there are dozens more that I've used and never realized they
were written in Python.

Last time I checked IBM/Lenovo computers all came with Python
installed, since some of the pre-installed admin/maintenance stuff is
written in Python.