Comparing 2 files.

Aaron Scott

I'm very new to Ruby. I'm wondering if it is possible to compare 2 text fi=
les and if those files have any differences in them that I can then automat=
ically send myself an email stating that the 2 files are not the same. Tha=
nks for any help. I tried using ruby_diff but I don't think it will work f=
or my purposes.

Aaron

Tim Hunter

Aaron said:
I'm very new to Ruby. I'm wondering if it is possible to compare 2 text
files and if those files have any differences in them that I can then
automatically send myself an email stating that the 2 files are not the
same. Thanks for any help. I tried using ruby_diff but I don't think
it will work for my purposes.

Aaron
ri FileUtils#compare_file
------------------------------------------------- FileUtils#compare_file
compare_file(a, b)
Returns true if the contents of a file A and a file B are
identical.

FileUtils.compare_file('somefile', 'somefile') #=> true
FileUtils.compare_file('/bin/cp', '/bin/mv') #=> maybe false

(also known as identical?, cmp)

Dave Bass

Aaron said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to compare 2 text
files and if those files have any differences in them that I can then
automatically send myself an email stating that the 2 files are not the
same.

The first thing you could try is to stat the files (builtin File::Stat
class) and see if there are any relevant differences between them (e.g.
size, mtime).

Or you could ask the OS to do a diff on the files.

Or you could read each file into a string and compare the two strings.

Or...

Aaron Scott

Thanks That worked perfectly.

Aaron Scott
Help Desk Technician
MedAlliance Management Group, Inc.
Waterbrooke Professional Park
2312 Knob Creek Road, Suite 200
Johnson City, Tennessee 37604
Phone: 423.915.1126 x 18
Fax: 423.915.0635
I'm very new to Ruby. I'm wondering if it is possible to compare 2 text
files and if those files have any differences in them that I can then
automatically send myself an email stating that the 2 files are not the
same. Thanks for any help. I tried using ruby_diff but I don't think
it will work for my purposes.

Aaron
ri FileUtils#compare_file
compare_file(a, b)
Returns true if the contents of a file A and a file B are
identical.

FileUtils.compare_file('somefile', 'somefile') #=3D> true
FileUtils.compare_file('/bin/cp', '/bin/mv') #=3D> maybe false

(also known as identical?, cmp)