Compatibility between IE and Netscape...

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ruskin, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Ruskin

    Ruskin Guest

    Is this a compatability issue, or am I missing something obvious... I have
    the following link (not exactly the same, but you get the idea);

    If I am running;

    a. Netscape Communicator with Netscape Mail
    - Link works perfectly

    b. Netscape Communicator with MS-Outlook
    - Not tested

    c. Internet Explorer with MS-Outlook
    - Link works perfectly

    d. Internet Explorer with Netscape Mail
    - Link causes a blank Netscape browser window to open, then the Netscape
    Mail message is shown.

    In the case of 'd', how do I prevent the browser window from opening?
    Internet Explorer is open, as is Netscape Mail, but there is no Netscape
    Communicator (or Browser) window open, so for some reason, the link
    (possibly because it is a href) forces a browser window to open. Is this a
    bug, or just a "put up with it" situation?

    Ruskin, Apr 15, 2004

  2. I think that's just a "live with."

    I personally try very very hard never to use a mailto: link, especially for
    code being accessed by the public, for precisely the reason you outline
    below. You can't control what configuration the end user will have - some
    might not have a mail client ~at all~, preferring to get their mail through
    some sort of web interface - and it's just too big a PITA working through it
    all. It's also fertile ground for SpamBots who can harvest those links off
    your webpage.

    Better to create a mail form in a page, and do the sending through a
    component like CDO or JMail. YMMV.

    William Morris, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 15, 2004