Compiling pcc in cygwin

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad

I had to make changes to configure so that it can compile.

The trick is to manually enter the expected target machine, because
this configure script cannot detect that cygwin win32 should be able
to compile pcc.

This is the first stage in making pcc portable. If we cannot change
this configure file, it will be hard for us to do any compilation, let
alone make any modification for a new target machine.

Actually I wanted to post it in my thread comparing pcc with gcc and
llvm, but there are too many posts there.
llvm failed in cygwin despite it being listed in the cygwin setup, but
I used the setup for cywinx.
gcc should be possible but it is for an older version. gcc for cygwin
is special, I think.

LLVM lso failed in Freebsd 9 although it is supposed to be a platform
for it. Actually pkg_add failed to download the source.

I managed to make Freebsd read from my usb drive via Vmware so can
transfer llvm source code there.

#if test "${ac_cv_target+set}" = set; then

# echo $ECHO_N "(cached) $ECHO_C" >&6

#else

# if test "x$target_alias" = x; then

# ac_cv_target=$ac_cv_host

#else

# ac_cv_target=`$SHELL "$ac_aux_dir/config.sub" $target_alias` ||

# { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: $SHELL $ac_aux_dir/config.sub
$target_alias failed" >&5

#echo "$as_me: error: $SHELL $ac_aux_dir/config.sub $target_alias
failed" >&2;}

# { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

#fi

#fi

# The above lines had been commented out because it failed to detect
the cygwin

# characteristics from the passed parameters. cygwin pass its machine
as i686-pc-cygwin

# valid choices for processor: i386 amd64 nova m16c powerpc hppa m68k
pdp11 mips sparc sparc64

# valid choices for os: apple bsd darwin dragonfly linux midnightbsd
mingw win32 minix mirbsd netbsd openbsd sunos

# valid choices for abi: pecoff elf machos classic68k aout coff

ac_cv_target="i386-mingw-pecoff"