Compiling Python using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

Colin J. Williams

1.I have both 2.5 and 2.6 but both
appear, under Recent Projects, as
pcbuild. It would be helpful if the
Python Version could be indicated.
2.With 2.6, Python compiles and executes
OK but various packages are not
compiled, eg sqlite3.
3.Pythonw compiles OK but not sqlite3.
4.Mike Fletcher suggests an approach
(http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/)
with Visual C for Python 2.4. Is this
still the recommended way to compile
Python 2.6?
5.Python 2.5 source refers to an Older
Visual C. Automatic conversion to
Visual C 2008 gives the message “Some of
the properties associated with the
solution could not be read.” All
projects except one had a single
warning, there were no errors reported.
6.After conversion there is no python
project, it is flagged “unavailable”.
7.Pythoncore builds with no errors and 6
warnings but there is no executable.
8.Python 2.5 build _tkinter fails –
tcl.h not found.

I would welcom advice on how to proceed.

Colin W.

Martin v. Löwis

1.I have both 2.5 and 2.6 but both appear, under Recent Projects, as
pcbuild. It would be helpful if the Python Version could be indicated.

Hover over the link, and it will display the full path, which you can
then infer to reason about the specific copy of Python you are using.

In any case, compiling Python 2.5 with VS 2008 is not supported.
2.With 2.6, Python compiles and executes OK but various packages are not
compiled, eg sqlite3.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.
3.Pythonw compiles OK but not sqlite3.

So what's the error?
4.Mike Fletcher suggests an approach
(http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/) with Visual C for
Python 2.4. Is this still the recommended way to compile Python 2.6?

No. Either use the full product, or the express edition. Neither
requires and additional setup.
5.Python 2.5 source refers to an Older Visual C. Automatic conversion
to Visual C 2008 gives the message “Some of the properties associated
with the solution could not be read.” All projects except one had a
single warning, there were no errors reported.
6.After conversion there is no python project, it is flagged “unavailable”.

See above. This procedure is not supported; you are on your own.
Get a copy of VS 2003 if you want to follow the official
recommendations.
7.Pythoncore builds with no errors and 6 warnings but there is no
executable.
8.Python 2.5 build _tkinter fails – tcl.h not found.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.

Regards,
Martin

Colin J. Williams

Martin said:
Hover over the link, and it will display the full path, which you can
then infer to reason about the specific copy of Python you are using.

Lovely, thanks. It's at the bottom of
the screen.
In any case, compiling Python 2.5 with VS 2008 is not supported.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.

I presume that this is PCbuild8.txt
So what's the error?

No. Either use the full product, or the express edition. Neither
requires and additional setup.

See above. This procedure is not supported; you are on your own.
Get a copy of VS 2003 if you want to follow the official
recommendations.

See PCbuild/readme.txt.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks. I'll look at the readme more
carefully and seek VS 2003.

Now, I would like to remove Python 2.5
from VS 2008 but see no obvious way of
getting rid of it.

Colin W.

Christian Heimes

Colin said:
I presume that this is PCbuild8.txt

No, it's PCbuild/readme.txt in Python 2.6 and 3.0

By the way you can call Tools\buildbot\external.bat from the root
directory of the 2.6 and 3.0. It checks out and build the dependencies.
The script requires the VS 9.0 tools and the svn command line executables.

Christian

Martin v. Löwis

See PCbuild/readme.txt.
I presume that this is PCbuild8.txt

As Christian says: PCbuild/readme.txt are the correct instructions
(and had been since Python 2.0 or so).
Now, I would like to remove Python 2.5 from VS 2008 but see no obvious
way of getting rid of it.

You might be able to clear the most-recent-projects list in the registry
somehow, but I personally wouldn't worry - if you open other projects,
this one will scroll off the list eventually.

Regards,
Martin