Compiling Python3 for BeagleBone Black (Angstrom distro)

Travis Griggs

I'm playing with a BeagleBone Black running the angstrom distro. Of course, stock python is 2.7, I'd rather use python3. There isn't a python3 package available for angstrom. So I downloaded the source and compiled. It seemed to work pretty well. I used the basic approach outlined in the REAMDE:

../configure
make
make test
make install

Now, I want to repeat the process, but be a little more judicious about what all is compiled. For example, I don't really need tk stuff (in fact, it just kept telling me it wasn't there). And there's probably a number of other modules/libraries in the kitchen sink known as the stock install, that I could forgo on a tiny little computer like this.

I see, looking at ./configure --help | less, that I could provide --disable-FEATURE and --without-PACKAGE directives to my ./configure invocation. But what I don't see is how to generate a list of what FEATURES/PACKAGES I could put there for consideration of omission. Is there some magic juju that generates that?

Travis Griggs
--I multiply all estimates by tau to account for running around in circles