Compiling to a library, instead of an executable?

Dimi Shahbaz

Hi,
I've seen a few tools to create standalone executables from python
scripts (py2exe, cx Freeze). My question is, has anyone created a tool
to create standalone libraries (.a, .so, .dll) from python scripts?
I'd like to create a library, written in python, and compile it for
other programs (in C, et al) to link with. I wouldn''t mind bundling
python23.dll with it.

This seems like it would be possible, but I couldn't find anything in
the docs or via google. I'm probably missing something simple, though.
The closest thing I found was:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-November/130845.html

but that seems like an awkward solution.

TIA,
Dimi

Robert Kern

Dimi said:
Hi,
I've seen a few tools to create standalone executables from python
scripts (py2exe, cx Freeze). My question is, has anyone created a tool
to create standalone libraries (.a, .so, .dll) from python scripts? I'd
like to create a library, written in python, and compile it for other
programs (in C, et al) to link with. I wouldn''t mind bundling
python23.dll with it.

You want Elmer.

http://elmer.sourceforge.net

--