complex object databinding

Random

I have a very full and complex object that contains objects as properties
and a few collections, and I'm working to databind it to a page. A lot of
textbox and dropdowns on the page, a few grids. I'll need to be able to
easily read back edits on a postback, so I'm looking at different scenarios
that people have had to implement aside from the simple objectdatasource and
gridview examples.

Some suggestions I've seen involve using the ITypedList, IEditableObject, or
IBindingList. Still, most of the examples I see apply to special needs of
binding to collections. Does anyone here have any recommendations as far as
base classes I should have my object inherit from, or the right interface(s)
I need to use for my scenario?

Guest

Howdy,

Have in mind complex expression evaluation works fine for Eval() method
(i.e. Eval("MyBusinessObject.Property.AnotherProperty")), but don't expect it
works when binding values back to source via Bind() method: <asp:TextBind
runat="server" Text='<%# ("MyBusinessObject.Property.AnotherProperty") %>'/>
is not going to work. So evenif you implement all the interfaces,
objectdatasource, gridview or any data bound control may not understand
complex Bind() expression and you'll have to code it manually.

hope this helps

sloan

Look at this code. Sorry I only have vb.net handy:
Take a look here, it might help:

CurrentPublisher.PublisherName is a nested property.

Dim titleIdBinding As Binding = _
txtTitleId.DataBindings.Add("Text", Me.m_model, "TitleId")

'Improved in .NET 2.0 //
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/y0h25we8(en-us,vs.80).aspx
'titleIdBinding.NullValue = "Type a TitleID Here"

'a text box
Me.txtTitleId.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Text", Me.m_model,
"TitleId"))

''a text box
Me.txtPublisher.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Text", Me.m_model,
"CurrentPublisher.PublisherName"))

'a date control
Me.dtpPubDate.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Value", Me.m_model,
"PublishedDate"))

'a text box
Me.txtPubDate.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Text", Me.m_model,
"PublishedDate"))

class Publisher
string PublisherName

class Title