Composite WebControl -- Child Control Property Persistance at Design-time

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Bob Brunton, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Bob Brunton

    Bob Brunton Guest

    Hi,

    I seen, this asked a number of times at this group but still have not
    seen any complete/rectified/fixed code.

    I have created a Composite WebControl, Added a button to it and
    exposed this child button as a property. But the properties are not
    persisting at design-time. Are the Attributes correct? See Code below.

    Now I want to add other controls to this, when/if I get it working. So
    simply extending the button control is not a valid solution.

    I know the response to this will be greatly appreciated by all those
    who have tried but failed, asked but were unanwsered.

    Thanks for you replies, If you can get this to work .. great Karma
    will come your way.

    Regards Nick

    using System;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.ComponentModel;

    namespace TestWebControls
    {

    [
    ToolboxData("<{0}:WebCustomControl1
    runat=server></{0}:WebCustomControl1>"), PersistChildren(false),
    ParseChildren(true)]
    public class WebCustomControl1 :
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl, INamingContainer
    {

    private System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox _TextBoxStreet ;//= new
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox();

    [DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content),
    PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerDefaultProperty)]
    public TextBox Street
    {
    get{
    return _TextBoxStreet;
    EnsureChildControls();
    base.OnInit (e);

    if(_TextBoxStreet == null)
    {
    _TextBoxStreet = new System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox();
    this.Controls.Add(_TextBoxStreet);
    }
    base.CreateChildControls();

    base.Render(output);

    Bob Brunton, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Bob Brunton

    Bob Brunton Guest

    No answer?

    If this can't be done then does anyone have a work around?
    I thought the dotnet framework could do all. I've followed all the
    reference material on webcontrol building and thought this would be
    trivial.

    If anyone has the answer I will be more than greatfull.

    REgards Nick

    Bob Brunton, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Reposting --hope there is no duplicate. I dont see my previous post ;P

    hi Bob, you need to use the textbox controls text property in your get/set
    accessors and not supply the control as a whole here. Your textbox control
    is persisted already when your adding it to your controls collection. The
    CreatechildControls method is fired after postback which reloads your
    textbox into the controls collection. This is the only prerequisite for
    dynamically added controls to persist their state after postback. I've also
    noted that you have supplied the
    DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content)
    attribute to your Get accessor property which is useless, use this for
    complex types only. PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerDefaultProperty)
    also is useless here. all you need to do is :

    public string Street
    {
    get{
    EnsureChildControls();
    return _TextBoxStreet.Text;
    set
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    _TextBoxStreet.Text = value;

    Also note that child controls maintain their own state, and you dont have to
    manually add this to viewstate to have it persist. Make sure you remove the
    "if conditional statement" you got in CreateChildControls. All childcontrols
    you add to the controls collection have to be recreated and your if
    statement breaks this

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Bob Brunton

    Bob Brunton Guest

    Thanks for the reply Alessandro,

    But I actually want to expose the TextBox as a public property, so I
    do need the attributes for this complex type (TextBox). I want more
    than just the TextBox Text property.

    Nick

    Bob Brunton, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Now i see where you are getting at. Simply trying out your sample code does
    not persist the data like you stated. I have tried Customizing State
    Restoration with ViewState by overriding saveviewstate, loadviewstate and
    trackviewstate but this didnt make a difference. I'll put in some time later
    this evening and post how far i were able to get ;P

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 9, 2004
  6. This is all actually working without the need to resort to manually adding
    the items to viewstate etc. However you get awkward behavior. Awkward
    behavoir being that, in vs.net designer the values wont get added to the
    page until you set another property in the container. For example first set
    the properties for your textbox, that is select some styling, add some text
    to its text property and if you went into html view you wont see these
    values as you expect them to be. However if you set another property from
    the container that is not part of the textbox, only then are the values for
    your textbox control reflected in html view and saved in the page. Now if
    you went back to look you will notice this change. For the rest it all works
    as expected. If you set any values at runtime in code, the values is
    persisted during postback.

    I had ran a small test earlier today and never got to see the textbox in the
    designer and thought this werent working and went about Customizing State
    Restoration and overriding saveviewstate --loadviewstate --trackviewstate
    uselessly ;P

    Now I see the textbox in the designer by associating a custom designer class
    to the control as you will note in the example code i am pasting.

    If the only problem is your wanting the values immidiately shown in html
    view that is in xml form, which is the expected behavour, then I have no
    idea why this is not taking place. Actually i have been stuck here myself
    sometime back with a few complex types of my own when associating it with a
    custom editor and i worked around dropping my editor as a whole.

    I really hope someone from MS is reading this post and sheds some light
    here, besides that I will go on thinking that this is a bug in the vs.net
    designer. I'm pasting the complete code i have used to test this behavior.

    'Code for WebCustomControl1.vb

    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Imports System.ComponentModel
    Namespace CustomControls
    <DefaultProperty("textbox2"), _
    Designer(GetType(CustomControls.Design.SimpleDesigner)), _
    ToolboxData("<{0}:WebCustomControl1
    runat=server></{0}:WebCustomControl1>")> _
    Public Class WebCustomControl1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl
    Implements INamingContainer
    Private _textbox2 As TextBox

    <DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content), _
    PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty), _
    Bindable(True), Category("Appearance"), DefaultValue("")> _
    Public Property textbox2() As TextBox
    Get
    If _textbox2 Is Nothing Then
    _textbox2 = New TextBox()
    End If
    Return _textbox2
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As TextBox)
    _textbox2 = Value
    End Set
    End Property
    Friend Sub createControlsHierarchy()
    Controls.Clear()
    box: : </h3>"))
    Controls.Add(textbox2)
    ChildControlsCreated = True
    End Sub

    createControlsHierarchy()

    End Sub
    End Class
    End Namespace

    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

    'code for SimpleDesigner.vb

    Imports System
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Web
    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.UI.Design
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls

    Namespace CustomControls.Design
    Public Class SimpleDesigner
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Design.ControlDesigner

    Public Overrides Function GetDesignTimeHtml() As String
    ' Component is the instance of the component or control that
    ' this designer object is associated with. This property is
    ' inherited from System.ComponentModel.ComponentDesigner.
    Dim designTimeHTML As String
    Dim Instance As WebCustomControl1 = CType(Component,
    WebCustomControl1)

    If Not Instance.textbox2 Is Nothing Then
    Instance.createControlsHierarchy()
    designTimeHTML = MyBase.GetDesignTimeHtml
    Return designTimeHTML
    Else
    Return GetEmptyDesignTimeHtml()
    End If
    End Function
    End Class
    End Namespace

    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

    'code for webform1.aspx

    <cc1:WebCustomControl1 id="WebCustomControl11" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT:
    335px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 224px" runat="server" BackColor="#E0E0E0"
    Width="158px">
    <textbox2 BackColor="#C0C000" ID="textbox1">
    Moi TextBox
    </textbox2>
    </cc1:WebCustomControl1>
    <asp:Button id="Button1" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 294px; POSITION:
    absolute; TOP: 86px" runat="server" Text="Button"></asp:Button>
    </form>

    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    'code for webform1.vb

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    If Not IsPostBack Then
    WebCustomControl11.textbox2.Text = "Viewstate Working"
    End If
    End Sub

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Bob Brunton

    Bob Brunton Guest

    Thanks for your time and effort Alessandro.

    I've spent a couple of days on this one, it's driving me nuts. I would
    truely appreciate one of the MS team responding, just to get some
    closure.

    Regards Nick Harrow (alia Bob Brunton)

    Bob Brunton, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Bob Brunton

    Bob Brunton Guest

    Still no response from microsoft?

    I will understand if there is a good reason why other controls can't
    be exposed as public properties in a composite control. But I can't
    work it out.
    I have applied all the attributes.

    I have included full source code at the beginning of this thread.

    Bob Brunton, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Bob, me again ;P

    I gave this another go and the only way to get this working is to override
    every property in the control you want to expose and manually override each
    property you want exposed with NotifyParentProperty(True). For complex
    types, to make the Parent property receive notification of changes in the
    child property's values, the child property must be marked with
    NotifyParentProperty(True). I have a hunch that none of the web controls
    have this attribute set to true by default and the only way around is to
    manually override each attribute and set it to true.

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 16, 2004
  10. and in case its not clear where i'm getting at, your going to have to make a
    base class that inherits from say for example textbox control, and then
    override every property for textbox you want exposed.

    So finally in your control, when exposing a textbox control it will look
    like the following :

    [DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content),
    PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerDefaultProperty)]
    public MyCustomTextBox Street
    {
    //note above MyCustomTextBox class which inherits
    //from textbox and has overridden properties
    //with NotifyParentPoperty(True)
    get{
    return _TextBoxStreet;

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Feb 16, 2004