Confused about 1.9.1 and ruby-debug19

Markus Fischer

Hi,

I'm using 1.9.1p378 via rvm on Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.

In searching for a way to debug my application I tried to install
"ruby-debug19" but it failed with:

ruby_debug.c: In function ‘ruby_method_ptr’:
ruby_debug.c:141: error: ‘rb_method_entry_t’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
ruby_debug.c:141: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ruby_debug.c:141: error: for each function it appears in.)
ruby_debug.c:141: error: ‘method’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ruby_debug.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘rb_method_entry’
ruby_debug.c: In function ‘debug_event_hook’:
ruby_debug.c:719: error: ‘rb_method_entry_t’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
ruby_debug.c:719: error: ‘me’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [ruby_debug.o] Error 1

Then I realized some kind of debugging actually is already available:

mfischer@ubuntu:~$ cat test.rb
puts "foo"
a = 5
puts a
mfischer@ubuntu:~$ ruby -rdebug test.rb
Debug.rb
Emacs support available.

test.rb:1:puts "foo"
(rdb:1)

Now I'm a bit confused. 1.9.1 has some kind of debugging out of the box,
but there's also a gem which seems to target 1.9 which doesn't work?

What would ruby-debug19 provide my in addition?

Googling around I found references to rdebug, but that isn't available
on my system. Is it part of ruby-debug19?

Now I'm not sure, do I've everything for debugging or am I missing
something? Should I obtain ruby-debug19 otherwise or should I use
something else ... ?

thanks,
- Markus

Roger Pack

ruby_debug.c: In function ‘ruby_method_ptr’:
ruby_debug.c:141: error: ‘rb_method_entry_t’ undeclared (first use in
this function)

I think there was some change in later patch levels of 1.9.1 that made
this variable non global, so ruby-debug gem is broken there.

Now I'm a bit confused. 1.9.1 has some kind of debugging out of the box,
but there's also a gem which seems to target 1.9 which doesn't work?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/Standard_Library/Debugger
should help clarify. You could also use 1.9.2 which works with the
ruby-debug19 gem.
-r

Markus Fischer

I think there was some change in later patch levels of 1.9.1 that made
this variable non global, so ruby-debug gem is broken there.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/Standard_Library/Debugger
should help clarify. You could also use 1.9.2 which works with the
ruby-debug19 gem.

I now realized why I'm confused: because I found I had installed 1.9.1
on some machine and I've installed ruby-debug19 there along with
ruby-debug-base19. This is 1.9.1p387 with ruby-debug-base19 (0.11.23)
and ruby-debug19 (0.11.6) .

Now I see the current version of ruby-debug-base19 is now at 0.11.24,
and that's actually the package which doesn't work anymore.

Is this a bug I should report? For some strange reason on the ruby-debug
page on githib there's no "Issue" tab ...

Thanks for the useful link,

- Markus