confused about customizing gridview control asp.net 2.0

Steve

When coding in vbscript asp, I did everything from scratch and could
control the way that for example my data tables looked and could be
edited.

I for example could allow the user to delete multiple records by
selecting them via checkboxes and clicking on one 'delete' button. They
could edit a particular record by clicking on the value of a particular
field (e.g. username) and editing that record.

Now I am a bit confused, can I still do these things with the asp.net
gridview control or should I be writing the code from scratch in
asp.net?

I have messed around a little bit with the gridview control and it
generates ugly "edit", "delete", and "select" text hyperlinks. Can I
assign the functionality of the "edit" for example to another field?
Can I implement a one button, multi update/delete functionality etc.?

Basically should I use gridview and customize it or code from scratch?