consuming the web service

Sam Takoy

Hi,

I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this web
service:

http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I hoping
that someone will point me in the right direction for approaching this task?

Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

Thanks,

Sam

Mike Schilling

Sam said:
Hi,

I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this
web service:

http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I
hoping that someone will point me in the right direction for
approaching this task?
Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

There are a number of tools that, given a service's WSDL, will generate a
Java client for that service. Axis 2 is one of them. Try reading about its
wsdl2java tool.

Tom Anderson

I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this web
service:

http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I hoping that
someone will point me in the right direction for approaching this task?

Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

It's one of the options. Last time i did this, i used Metro:

https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/

Because it's the reference implementation of JAX-WS, and because from the
little research i did, it seemed to have better support for the particular
WSDL features i needed than Axis2.

To use Metro, you apply the wsimport tool to your WSDL file, and it
generates a load of code (as source or class files). You put the generated
classes and the Metro libraries on your classpath, and you're away.

I should warn you, though: i just ran that WSDL through JBoss's WSDL
importer, and it rejected it because of a missing import in the schema.
You may have to do some hacking of the WSDL file to get it to work right.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this web
service:

http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I hoping
that someone will point me in the right direction for approaching this
task?

Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

The most important rule for web service beginners are: don't
focus on SOAP and WSDL, but let the tools take care of that.

Axis2 is one of those tools.

wsdl2java -uri http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

will generate a file:

src/com/epfr/epfrdata/EPFRDataStub.java

which encapsulate the web service call.

Arne

jaap

Op 20-05-10 14:46, schreef Tom Anderson:
It's one of the options. Last time i did this, i used Metro:

https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/

Because it's the reference implementation of JAX-WS, and because from
the little research i did, it seemed to have better support for the
particular WSDL features i needed than Axis2.

To use Metro, you apply the wsimport tool to your WSDL file, and it
generates a load of code (as source or class files). You put the
generated classes and the Metro libraries on your classpath, and you're
away.

I should warn you, though: i just ran that WSDL through JBoss's WSDL
importer, and it rejected it because of a missing import in the schema.
You may have to do some hacking of the WSDL file to get it to work right.

tom

I know both Axis2 and JAX-WS and I prefer the latter. So follow Tom's
advise. The examples are very clear (and easy).

Jaap

Arne Vajhøj

I know both Axis2 and JAX-WS and I prefer the latter.

So you know that JAX-WS is a standard and Axis2 is software
that implements the JAX-WS standard?

:)

Arne