Cookies

rodmc

Hi,

I am writing a web application which uses various technologies but
mainly Python and Javascript, part of it requires the storing of data
in cookies. Most of the time the system works fine however recently
one user has experienced problems when using a Win2K machine with IE6
- he keeps getting Internal server errors. However the same data was
posted from another machine without any problems. I had similar
problems with the same user some time ago and managed to trace it to
cookies and special characters. Are there any characters I should
avoid within cookies? Also are there methods to encode/decode cookie
data using Python which would avoid this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed rodmc <userprogoogle-139
@yahoo.co.uk> writing in @k16g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
Hi,

I am writing a web application which uses various technologies but
mainly Python and Javascript, part of it requires the storing of data
in cookies. Most of the time the system works fine however recently
one user has experienced problems when using a Win2K machine with IE6
- he keeps getting Internal server errors. However the same data was
posted from another machine without any problems. I had similar
problems with the same user some time ago and managed to trace it to
cookies and special characters. Are there any characters I should
avoid within cookies? Also are there methods to encode/decode cookie
data using Python which would avoid this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

What kind of internal server errors? Is something coming out of a db?
Are you checking server side for requisite information before going to
the db? Are you checking incoming data for SQL injection? You need to
check data from forms, querystrings AND cookies.

As far as cookies and IE6, does the user have Session cookies enabled?
IE6 gives the option to not accept cookies, but to accept Session
cookies.