Copying a ZipExtFile

Moore, Mathew L

Hello all,

A newbie here. I was wondering why the following fails on Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605) on win32. Am I doing something inappropriate?

Interestingly, it works in 3.1, but would like to also get it working in 2.6.

Thanks in advance,
--Matt

import io
import shutil
import tempfile
import zipfile

with tempfile.TemporaryFile() as f:
# (Real code retrieves archive via urllib2.urlopen().)
zip = zipfile.ZipFile(f, mode='w')
zip.writestr('unknowndir/src.txt', 'Hello, world!')
zip.close();

# (Pretend we just downloaded the zip file.)
f.seek(0)

# Result of urlopen() is not seekable, but ZipFile requires a
# seekable file. Work around this by copying the file into a
# memory stream.
with io.BytesIO() as memio:
shutil.copyfileobj(f, memio)
zip = zipfile.ZipFile(file=memio)
# Can't use zip.extract(), because I want to ignore paths
# within archive.
src = zip.open('unknowndir/src.txt')
with open('dst.txt', mode='wb') as dst:
shutil.copyfileobj(src, dst)

The last line throws an Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 25, in <module>
shutil.copyfileobj(src, dst)
File "C:\Python26\lib\shutil.py", line 27, in copyfileobj
buf = fsrc.read(length)
File "C:\Python26\lib\zipfile.py", line 594, in read
bytes = self.fileobj.read(bytesToRead)
TypeError: integer argument expected, got 'long'

ryles

[...]

It should hopefully work if you use cStringIO/StringIO instead of
BytesIO.

I think the issue is essentially that StringIO.read() will accept a
long object while the backport of bytesio to to 2.6 does an explicit
check for int:

py> StringIO.StringIO("foo").read(long(1))
'f'

py> io.BytesIO("foo").read(long(1))
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: integer argument expected, got 'long'

Should this be amended? Perhaps someone on core can consider it.

As for why the bytesToRead calculation in ZipExtFile.read() results in
a long, I've not yet looked at it closely.

ryles

As for why the bytesToRead calculation in ZipExtFile.read() results in
a long, I've not yet looked at it closely.

Simple, actually:

In ZipExtFile.__init__():

self.bytes_read = 0L

In ZipExitFile.read():

bytesToRead = self.compress_size - self.bytes_read

13 - 0L == 13L

Moore, Mathew L

It should hopefully work if you use cStringIO/StringIO instead of
BytesIO.

It does! Excellent! You've saved me the trouble of a weekend debug session..

--Matt