Create External Process

Mythran

ASP.Net v1.1

Trying to create and start an external process (run another application).
This application can take a few minutes to complete, but I want the ASP.Net
web page to return immediately without killing the process it started.

Basically, the user uploads a file which is saved to the server disk. The
web app needs to start the application that parses, amongst other things,
the file and modifies the database accordingly. Because the file can be
rather large, this takes time, but the ASP.Net application kills the process
before it is complete. I believe there is a way to do this without it
killing the process...that is what I am after :0

Thanks,
Mythran

Guest

Mythran,
Really, the cleanest way to handle this is to have a windows service with a
FileSystemWatcher that monitors the upload folder for new files and handles
this processing by itself.

However, if that's not in the cards for you, you could try a "Fire and
Forget" pattern to kick off the process:

Peter

Mythran

Yeah, our admin don't like the idea of writing a service that monitors for
files....

Anywho, I'll check out the Fire and Forget pattern (which sounds like what I
want)...

Thanks :)

Mythran