Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net

Coleen

Hi All :) (I've posted at dotnet.languates.vb.controls, but not received
any response since 11/5 - sorry for the doble-post, but I really could use
some help...)

I need to create some labels and text boxes dynamically, depending on the
number input in a previous textbox on the page. What I have is a situation
where my users receive payments from a client that sometimes consist of
multiple checks of various amounts, at the same time. This would not pose a
problem if they received multiple checks on different dates...

I have an input box for them to enter how many separate checks have been
received. Now, depending on the number entered in the input box, I need to
create that many text boxes for them to enter the check number and amount
for EACH check received. Any suggestions or examples of where I can find out
how to do this? TIA,

Coleen

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Coleen,

What kind of input box are you speaking of?

The key here is that you need to create the dynamic controls in Page_Init
or Page_Load. In your example, you are probably checking the value entered
in a Click event of a button. By then, it's too late to add your controls.

What you would want to do in this case is check to see if the button on
your form was the cause of postback. You can do that by checking the Forms
collection for the existence of that button. Only if the button was used
to POST will it be part of the Forms collection. Once you've confirmed
that the button did cause postback, you can once again use the Forms
collection to determine what was entered in the textbox.

Using this method, you can do all of your work in Page_Init or Page_Load.
Hope that helps.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:56:27 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hi All :) (I've posted at dotnet.languates.vb.controls, but not received
| any response since 11/5 - sorry for the doble-post, but I really could use
| some help...)
|
| I need to create some labels and text boxes dynamically, depending on the
| number input in a previous textbox on the page. What I have is a situation
| where my users receive payments from a client that sometimes consist of
| multiple checks of various amounts, at the same time. This would not pose
| problem if they received multiple checks on different dates...
|
| I have an input box for them to enter how many separate checks have been
| received. Now, depending on the number entered in the input box, I need to
| create that many text boxes for them to enter the check number and amount
| for EACH check received. Any suggestions or examples of where I can find
out
| how to do this? TIA,
|
| Coleen

Coleen

Actually I'm not doing it on the click of a button. I am doing it on the
page_load event, on enter. I believe I'm missing a step. Here's my code:

If txt_num_of_cks.Text <> "" Then
Select Case ls_num_checks
Case 1
Dim lbl_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label()
Dim txt_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox()
Me.Controls.Add(lbl_ck_num_1)
lbl_ck_num_1.Visible = True
lbl_ck_num_1.Text = "Enter First Check Number:"
'More Select Statments but non work...
End Select
End If

I am getting this error: "The Controls collection cannot be modified because
the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). "

Can you please point me in the right direction? This used to be very simple
in VB 6, but I am obviously missing a step...

Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Coleen,

What kind of input box are you speaking of?

The key here is that you need to create the dynamic controls in Page_Init
or Page_Load. In your example, you are probably checking the value entered
in a Click event of a button. By then, it's too late to add your controls.

What you would want to do in this case is check to see if the button on
your form was the cause of postback. You can do that by checking the Forms
collection for the existence of that button. Only if the button was used
to POST will it be part of the Forms collection. Once you've confirmed
that the button did cause postback, you can once again use the Forms
collection to determine what was entered in the textbox.

Using this method, you can do all of your work in Page_Init or Page_Load.
Hope that helps.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:56:27 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hi All :) (I've posted at dotnet.languates.vb.controls, but not received
| any response since 11/5 - sorry for the doble-post, but I really could use
| some help...)
|
| I need to create some labels and text boxes dynamically, depending on the
| number input in a previous textbox on the page. What I have is a situation
| where my users receive payments from a client that sometimes consist of
| multiple checks of various amounts, at the same time. This would not pose
| problem if they received multiple checks on different dates...
|
| I have an input box for them to enter how many separate checks have been
| received. Now, depending on the number entered in the input box, I need to
| create that many text boxes for them to enter the check number and amount
| for EACH check received. Any suggestions or examples of where I can find
out
| how to do this? TIA,
|
| Coleen

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Coleen,

You are adding your controls to the page's Controls collection. You
shouldn't be doing that. Instead, use a placeholder, a literal, a panel,
etc. and add your controls to its Controls collection.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:18:07 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Actually I'm not doing it on the click of a button. I am doing it on the
| page_load event, on enter. I believe I'm missing a step. Here's my code:
|
| If txt_num_of_cks.Text <> "" Then
| Select Case ls_num_checks
| Case 1
| Dim lbl_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label()
| Dim txt_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox()
| Me.Controls.Add(lbl_ck_num_1)
| lbl_ck_num_1.Visible = True
| lbl_ck_num_1.Text = "Enter First Check Number:"
| 'More Select Statments but non work...
| End Select
| End If
|
| I am getting this error: "The Controls collection cannot be modified
because
| the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). "
|
| Can you please point me in the right direction? This used to be very
simple
| in VB 6, but I am obviously missing a step...
|

| | > Hi Coleen,
| >
| > What kind of input box are you speaking of?
| >
| > The key here is that you need to create the dynamic controls in
Page_Init
| > or Page_Load. In your example, you are probably checking the value
| entered
| > in a Click event of a button. By then, it's too late to add your
| controls.
| >

| > What you would want to do in this case is check to see if the button on
| > your form was the cause of postback. You can do that by checking the
| Forms
| > collection for the existence of that button. Only if the button was
used
| > to POST will it be part of the Forms collection. Once you've confirmed
| > that the button did cause postback, you can once again use the Forms
| > collection to determine what was entered in the textbox.
| >
| > Using this method, you can do all of your work in Page_Init or
Page_Load.
| > Hope that helps.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:56:27 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi All :) (I've posted at dotnet.languates.vb.controls, but not
| received
| > | any response since 11/5 - sorry for the doble-post, but I really could
| use
| > | some help...)
| > |
| > | I need to create some labels and text boxes dynamically, depending on
| the
| > | number input in a previous textbox on the page. What I have is a
| situation
| > | where my users receive payments from a client that sometimes consist
of
| > | multiple checks of various amounts, at the same time. This would not
| pose
| > | problem if they received multiple checks on different dates...
| > |
| > | I have an input box for them to enter how many separate checks have
been
| > | received. Now, depending on the number entered in the input box, I
need
| > | create that many text boxes for them to enter the check number and
| amount
| > | for EACH check received. Any suggestions or examples of where I can
find
| > out
| > | how to do this? TIA,
| > |
| > | Coleen
| > |
| > |
| > |

Coleen

Thanks - actually I found exactly what/how I need to do this in an article
in dotnetjunkies.com: "Building ASP.Net Controls in VB .Net and HTML" The
example given works, I had to (of course) tweak it a little to fit my needs
but for anyone seeking the answer, check here:

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/HowTo/63C2FC74-EBF4-4284-9306-F987DD1C9580.dcik

Thanks for the help/response!

Coleen

Jim Cheshire said:
> [...]

Page_Load.
| > Hope that helps.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:56:27 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi All :) (I've posted at dotnet.languates.vb.controls, but not
| received
| > | any response since 11/5 - sorry for the doble-post, but I really could
| > |
| > | I need to create some labels and text boxes dynamically, depending on
| the
| > | number input in a previous textbox on the page. What I have is a
| situation
| > | where my users receive payments from a client that sometimes consist
of
| > | multiple checks of various amounts, at the same time. This would not
| pose
| > | problem if they received multiple checks on different dates...
| > |
| > | I have an input box for them to enter how many separate checks have
been
| > | received. Now, depending on the number entered in the input box, I
need
| > | create that many text boxes for them to enter the check number and
| amount
| > | for EACH check received. Any suggestions or examples of where I can
find
| > out
| > | how to do this? TIA,
| > |
| > | Coleen
| > |
| > |
| > |

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Coleen,

Unless you need to add table cells to your page, you can do what you need a
lot easier by just using a container for your controls other than the page.
The error you were encountering before is caused by the dynamic controls
getting added outside of the <form> tag. By using a placeholder, panel, or
some other container other than the page itself, you can avoid that issue
with no additional code.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:08:56 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Thanks - actually I found exactly what/how I need to do this in an article
| in dotnetjunkies.com: "Building ASP.Net Controls in VB .Net and HTML" The
| example given works, I had to (of course) tweak it a little to fit my
needs
| but for anyone seeking the answer, check here:

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/HowTo/63C2FC74-EBF4-4284-9306-F987DD1C9580.dcik

| Thanks for the help/response!
|
| Coleen
|
| | > Coleen,
| >
| > You are adding your controls to the page's Controls collection. You
| > shouldn't be doing that. Instead, use a placeholder, a literal, a
panel,
| > etc. and add your controls to its Controls collection.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:18:07 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP14
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Actually I'm not doing it on the click of a button. I am doing it on
| the
| > | page_load event, on enter. I believe I'm missing a step. Here's my
| code:
| > |
| > | If txt_num_of_cks.Text <> "" Then
| > | Select Case ls_num_checks
| > | Case 1
| > | Dim lbl_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label()
| > | Dim txt_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox()
| > | Me.Controls.Add(lbl_ck_num_1)
| > | lbl_ck_num_1.Visible = True
| > | lbl_ck_num_1.Text = "Enter First Check Number:"
| > | 'More Select Statments but non work...
| > | End Select
| > | End If
| > |
| > | I am getting this error: "The Controls collection cannot be modified
| > because
| > | the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). "
| > |
| > | Can you please point me in the right direction? This used to be very
| > simple
| > | in VB 6, but I am obviously missing a step...
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > Page_Init
| > | entered
| > | controls.

| on
| > | Forms
| > used
| confirmed

| > Page_Load.

| rights.

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > | > |
| > | received
| could
| > | use
| > | > |
| on
| > | the
| > | situation
| > of
| > | pose
| > | > |
| > been
| > need
| > | amount
| > find
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Coleen

I may have to do that, because the dropdownlistbox SelectedIndexChanged
event is not being triggered with the ddl in the asp table. I'm not a
"brand" newbie to .net, but I am new enough not to quite understand what you
mean by adding a container. The thing is that I want the labels and text
boxes to appear and align depending on what type of payment is selected in
the ddl. I need to populate a total of seven "rows" for each type to get
the proper data. I though the easiest way to do this and get it all to
align properly would be to insert all the dropdowns, labels and textboxes
inside an aspx table...any other suggestions/examples you can provide are
greatly appreciated!

TIA

Coleen

Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Coleen,

Unless you need to add table cells to your page, you can do what you need a
lot easier by just using a container for your controls other than the page.
The error you were encountering before is caused by the dynamic controls
getting added outside of the <form> tag. By using a placeholder, panel, or
some other container other than the page itself, you can avoid that issue
with no additional code.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:08:56 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Thanks - actually I found exactly what/how I need to do this in an article
| in dotnetjunkies.com: "Building ASP.Net Controls in VB .Net and HTML" The
| example given works, I had to (of course) tweak it a little to fit my
needs
| but for anyone seeking the answer, check here:

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/HowTo/63C2FC74-EBF4-4284-9306-F987DD1C9580.dcik

| Thanks for the help/response!
|
| Coleen
|
| | > Coleen,
| >
| > You are adding your controls to the page's Controls collection. You
| > shouldn't be doing that. Instead, use a placeholder, a literal, a
panel,
| > etc. and add your controls to its Controls collection.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:18:07 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP14
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Actually I'm not doing it on the click of a button. I am doing it on
| the
| > | page_load event, on enter. I believe I'm missing a step. Here's my
| code:
| > |
| > | If txt_num_of_cks.Text <> "" Then
| > | Select Case ls_num_checks
| > | Case 1
| > | Dim lbl_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label()
| > | Dim txt_ck_num_1 As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox()
| > | Me.Controls.Add(lbl_ck_num_1)
| > | lbl_ck_num_1.Visible = True
| > | lbl_ck_num_1.Text = "Enter First Check Number:"
| > | 'More Select Statments but non work...
| > | End Select
| > | End If
| > |
| > | I am getting this error: "The Controls collection cannot be modified
| > because
| > | the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). "
| > |
| > | Can you please point me in the right direction? This used to be very
| > simple
| > | in VB 6, but I am obviously missing a step...
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > Page_Init
| > | entered
| > | controls.

| on
| > | Forms
| > used
| confirmed

| > Page_Load.

| rights.

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > | > |
| > | received
| could
| > | use
| > | > |
| on
| > | the
| > | situation
| > of
| > | pose
| > | > |
| > been
| > need
| > | amount
| > find
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Coleen,

A table is fine. The thing is that you need to add your dynamic controls
to a container other than the page. In other words, suppose you were
adding them to a Panel control called pnlControls. You would just add the
controls to the Controls collection of pnlControls.

pnlControls.Controls.Add(myControl)

That will prevent the controls from getting added outside of the <form> tag
and causing a problem.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:50:46 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| I may have to do that, because the dropdownlistbox SelectedIndexChanged
| event is not being triggered with the ddl in the asp table. I'm not a
| "brand" newbie to .net, but I am new enough not to quite understand what
you
| mean by adding a container. The thing is that I want the labels and text
| boxes to appear and align depending on what type of payment is selected in
| the ddl. I need to populate a total of seven "rows" for each type to get
| the proper data. I though the easiest way to do this and get it all to
| align properly would be to insert all the dropdowns, labels and textboxes
| inside an aspx table...any other suggestions/examples you can provide are
| greatly appreciated!
|
| TIA
|
| Coleen
|

| | > Hi Coleen,
| >
| > Unless you need to add table cells to your page, you can do what you
need
| > lot easier by just using a container for your controls other than the
| page.
| > The error you were encountering before is caused by the dynamic
controls
| > getting added outside of the <form> tag. By using a placeholder, panel,
| or
| > some other container other than the page itself, you can avoid that
issue
| > with no additional code.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:08:56 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Thanks - actually I found exactly what/how I need to do this in an
| article
| > | in dotnetjunkies.com: "Building ASP.Net Controls in VB .Net and HTML"
| The
| > | example given works, I had to (of course) tweak it a little to fit my
| > needs
| > | but for anyone seeking the answer, check here:
| > |
| > |

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/HowTo/63C2FC74-EBF4-4284-9306-F987DD1C9580.dcik
| > |
| > |
| > | Thanks for the help/response!
| > |
| > | Coleen
| > |

| > panel,

| rights.

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP14
| > | > |
| on
| > | the
| > | code:
| > | > |
| > | > |
| very
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| message

| value

| button
| > | on
| > the
| was
| > | confirmed
| Forms

| > | rights.

| > | microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > | > |

| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > | > | > |
| > | could
| > | > | > |
| depending
| > | on
| > consist
| > not
| > | > | > |
| > have
| and
| > can
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Coleen

I guess I'm a little confused. Does the table get placed inside the
container? I've never used containers before, so I honestly don't have a
clue where to start coding..."just add the controls to the Controls
collection of pnlControls" is the control created and then the entire table
placed inside, or is the container placed inside the table?

Jim Cheshire said:
> [...]

| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:08:56 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Thanks - actually I found exactly what/how I need to do this in an
| article
| > | in dotnetjunkies.com: "Building ASP.Net Controls in VB .Net and HTML"
| The
| > | example given works, I had to (of course) tweak it a little to fit my
| > needs
| > | but for anyone seeking the answer, check here:

| > |

| > panel,

| rights.

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP14
| > | > |
| on
| > | the
| > | code:
| > | > |
| > | > |
| very
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| message

| value

| button
| > | on
| > the
| was
| > | confirmed
| Forms

| > | rights.

| > | microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > | > |

| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13
| > | > | > |
| > | could
| > | > | > |
| depending
| > | on
| > consist
| > not
| > | > | > |
| > have
| and
| > can
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Coleen,

It doesn't matter. The panel is added during design-time and you can put
it anywhere. It's simply a placeholder for the dynamic controls that will
be added later.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:21:35 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| I guess I'm a little confused. Does the table get placed inside the
| container? I've never used containers before, so I honestly don't have a
| clue where to start coding..."just add the controls to the Controls
| collection of pnlControls" is the control created and then the entire
table
| placed inside, or is the container placed inside the table?
|

| | > Coleen,
| >
| > A table is fine. The thing is that you need to add your dynamic
controls
| > to a container other than the page. In other words, suppose you were
| > adding them to a Panel control called pnlControls. You would just add
the
| > controls to the Controls collection of pnlControls.
| >
| > pnlControls.Controls.Add(myControl)
| >
| > That will prevent the controls from getting added outside of the <form>
| tag
| > and causing a problem.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Coleen" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Creating dynamic Text boxes in VB .Net
| > | Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:50:46 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP15
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | I may have to do that, because the dropdownlistbox
SelectedIndexChanged
| > | event is not being triggered with the ddl in the asp table. I'm not a
| > | "brand" newbie to .net, but I am new enough not to quite understand
what
| > you
| > | mean by adding a container. The thing is that I want the labels and
| text
| > | boxes to appear and align depending on what type of payment is
selected
| in
| > | the ddl. I need to populate a total of seven "rows" for each type to
| get
| > | the proper data. I though the easiest way to do this and get it all
| > | align properly would be to insert all the dropdowns, labels and
| textboxes
| > | inside an aspx table...any other suggestions/examples you can provide
| are
| > | greatly appreciated!
| > |
| > | TIA
| > |
| > | Coleen
| > |
| > |

| > need
| > | page.
| > controls
| panel,
| > | or
| > issue

| rights.

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12
| > | > |
| > | article
| HTML"
| > | The
| my
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/HowTo/63C2FC74-EBF4-4284-9306-F987DD1C9580.dcik
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| message

| You

| > | rights.

| > | microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > | > |

| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP14
| > | > | > |
| it
| > | on
| Here's
| > my
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > modified
| > | very
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | message

| in
| > | value
| > your

| > | button
| > checking
| button
| > | was
| > | Forms

| no

| > | > | > |

| > | > |

| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11630
| > not
| > really
| > | > | > | > |
| > | depending