Creating password protected web site

jch

I'd like to use Visual Studio to create a password protection for a web
site. Obviously I'm new at this and hope someone can point me to a tutorial
and/or examples of how to create this. Nothing fancy. Just a simple
mechanism to determine if a cookie exists on the user's system containing
the proper credentials to open the target page. If that doesn't exist, then
I'd want a standard Login screen to accept the UID/Password of the potential
visitor. I'm sure this can't be too difficult with dot.asp and hope someone
can help. Thanks.