: how to supply login/password to a web site

zigzagdna

I have a web site which I want to access from a java program.
Problem is web site requires a login and password. However web site
Does not provide in URL a way to specify login and password.
Is there any way in my java progam I can supply various key strokes
which I will
Type when I logon manually.

Thanks,

Arne Vajhøj

I have a web site which I want to access from a java program.
Problem is web site requires a login and password. However web site
Does not provide in URL a way to specify login and password.
Is there any way in my java progam I can supply various key strokes
which I will
Type when I logon manually.

Typical the web site will use form based login.

In which case you will need to first send a POST to the
action URL of the login page and then request the stuff you
need using the session cookie you got back from the login.

I will strongly recommend Apache HttpClient over raw
(Http)URLConnection.

I do have some examples on the shelf if you are interested.

And if it is a ASP.NET web side using view stat, then you
will have some extra challenges.

Arne

zigzagdna

Typical the web site will use form based login.

In which case you will need to first send a POST to the
action URL of the login page and then request the stuff you
need using the session cookie you got back from the login.

I will strongly recommend Apache HttpClient over raw
(Http)URLConnection.

I do have some examples on the shelf if you are interested.

And if it is a ASP.NET web side using view stat, then you
will have some extra challenges.

Arne
Thanks so much, internet newsgroups are so helpful.

zigzagdna

Typical the web site will use form based login.

In which case you will need to first send a POST to the
action URL of the login page and then request the stuff you
need using the session cookie you got back from the login.

I will strongly recommend Apache HttpClient over raw
(Http)URLConnection.

I do have some examples on the shelf if you are interested.

And if it is a ASP.NET web side using view stat, then you
will have some extra challenges.

Arne

Thanks a lot for your expert advise, internet newsgroups are so
helpful.

zigzagdna

Thanks a lot for your expert advise, internet newsgroups are so
helpful.- Hide quoted text -

I do have some examples on the shelf if you are interested.Can you post your examples in this thread, else please send them to
me at (e-mail address removed). My yahoo mail is decatvated.

Thanks a lot

Arne Vajhøj

Can you post your examples in this thread, else please send them to
me at

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import org.apache.http.NameValuePair;
import org.apache.http.client.HttpClient;
import org.apache.http.client.entity.UrlEncodedFormEntity;
import org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpGet;
import org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpPost;
import org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultHttpClient;
import org.apache.http.message.BasicNameValuePair;
import org.apache.http.protocol.HTTP;
import org.apache.http.util.EntityUtils;

public class Login {
private HttpClient client;
public Login() {
client = new DefaultHttpClient();
}
public void login(String url, String userField, String userValue,
String passField, String passValue) throws Exception {
List<NameValuePair> nvp = new ArrayList<NameValuePair>();
nvp.add(new BasicNameValuePair(userField, userValue));
nvp.add(new BasicNameValuePair(passField, passValue));
post(url, nvp);
}
public String get(String url) throws Exception {
HttpGet met = new HttpGet(url);
return EntityUtils.toString(client.execute(met).getEntity());
}
public String post(String url, List<NameValuePair> nvp) throws
Exception {
HttpPost met = new HttpPost(url);
if (nvp != null) {
met.setEntity(new UrlEncodedFormEntity(nvp, HTTP.UTF_8));
}
return EntityUtils.toString(client.execute(met).getEntity());
Login lgi = new Login();
lgi.get("http://localhost:8080/login/open/test.jsp");
lgi.login("http://localhost:8080/login/j_security_check",
"j_username", "userarne", "j_password", "xxxxxx");

System.out.println(lgi.get("http://localhost:8080/login/open/test.jsp"));

Arne

zigzagdna

Arne- Hide quoted text -