Creating the windows MSI of python

Floris Bruynooghe

Hello

I've managed to build python2.4 and python2.5 in windows with MSVC++
7.1 fine following the instructions in the PCbuild directory. However
now I am wondering how to create the MSI from this[1], but can't find
any instructions. All I'm looking for is the equivalent of "make
install" (or "make install DESTDIR=/alternative/root").

I could just look at what files and registry settings etc the
installer creates and collect all the files manually from the build
directory, and then poor them into an MSI. But that seems a bit
dangerous for missing something and it will become a maintenance
headache on upgrades too. Isn't there some script shipped with python
that allows you to build a completely compatible distribution?

It would be great if someone knows how Python builds it's MSI.

Thanks
Floris

[1] Ok, not really. What I really want is a merge module or .msm, but
never mind that part.

Christian Heimes

Floris said:
It would be great if someone knows how Python builds it's MSI.

The Tools/ directory contains a script in Tools/msi/msi.py. Martin von
Löwis is using the script to generate the official MSI bundles. You need
to run it from a development shell. Good luck!

Christian

Floris Bruynooghe

The Tools/ directory contains a script in Tools/msi/msi.py. Martin von
Löwis is using the script to generate the official MSI bundles. You need
to run it from a development shell. Good luck!

Thanks!

Floris