Cross Forest Group Memberships

tyler.lloyd

Hi,

I have a web application that requires the lookup of group memberships.
I'm currently using the WindowsPrincipal.isinrole, which has been
working great, however I now have to extend the application to support
multiple (3) forests. It seems from initial testing that the
WindowsIdentity token does not contain \ validate cross-forest
memberships as all the checks are coming back negative. I'm a little
worried as the only other option I can think of is directly binding to
those remote groups and searching their members list (Plus the nested
groups?). This could be quite time consuming, as there are easily 20
groups per Forest. Is there another way I can go about this? Any help
would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Tyler

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

do you have cross forest trusts between the forests?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

try the following command:

whoami /groups

while logged on with the account in questions - do you see the groups from
the other forests?

(whoami is included in w2k3 or the windows resource kit)

tyler.lloyd

Hi Dominick,

I tried the whoami command and it listed everything but the cross
forest members. I tried nesting my account in another Domain local
group in the remote forests which also didn't show up. The trust in
place is a two way external. The functional level is 2003.

Thanks
Tyler

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

when whoami does not show the groups - there is a system/domain config issue
- i remember vaguely that there is a "account firewall" in cross forest trusts
- maybe somehting is still locked down...

tyler.lloyd

Thanks so much for you help, I will look into that and see if I can
find out why \ how its being blocked.

Thank again
Tyler

tyler.lloyd

Thank you both for the help so far; I checked the Trust authentication
type and everything is set to Forest-Wide Authentication. Just to
further help idenitfy the issue, currently my account resides in Forest
A. This account is nested into a Domain Local group located in forest
B. I have rebooted my machine after the group membership change.
Whoami should show Domain Local groups correct?

Thanks
Tyler

tyler.lloyd