    database.
    So maybe the interface should be web-based and the word search written in C?
    But how do I go about setting up a CGI program on a free web host?

    Malcolm McLean, Nov 22, 2012

  2. Malcolm McLean

    JohnF Guest

    What's the problem, exactly? I have several public web services
    written in C and set up as cgi's, with no programming or installation
    problems whatsoever. The most popular by far (about half a million
    requests per day) is www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html (for web service
    details, see Section 5.2 Public mimeTeX web service).

    Regarding games in general, did you see that Nova Science Now
    tv show about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldit ?
    Seems like a brilliant idea -- wrap a game-like front end around
    serious scientific problems, thereby "crowd sourcing" solutions.
    Maybe you could think of some other general classes of problems
    amenable to this kind of treatment. Offhand, I'm failing to think
    of any, but if you're investing serious time developing games,
    you might want to give it a try.

    JohnF, Nov 23, 2012

  3. The problem is finding a host.

    Malcolm McLean, Nov 24, 2012
  4. Malcolm McLean

    Gene Guest

    You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit, you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.

    Gene, Dec 16, 2012
  5. Malcolm McLean

    Ian Collins Guest

    Gene wrote:

    Please wrap your lines!
    Or simply provide the MD5 sum on the download page.

    Ian Collins, Dec 16, 2012
  6. How do you do that?

    Malcolm McLean, Dec 17, 2012
  7. Malcolm McLean