css - font size problems in ie

ppcguy

i use 0.9em to set font sizes in ie on the desktop
and it works fine.

on the laptop, the same page the font sizes are markedly
different and some fonts that should be smaller are
larger.

both using ie.

any explanation?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

ppcguy said:
i use 0.9em to set font sizes in ie on the desktop and it works
fine.

...but is 10% smaller than my default size. You should write your pages
for your visitors, not for yourself.
on the laptop, the same page the font sizes are markedly different
and some fonts that should be smaller are larger. both using ie.
any explanation?

I'd bet that the two IE's are set at different user prefs. One might
be "Medium" and the other "Smaller" on the text size menu.

Set your font to 100% (instead of em, which IE sometimes has a problem
displaying correctly), and then adjust your own text size to what you
like, and I'll do the same.

URL?

Phil Thompson

ppcguy said:
i use 0.9em to set font sizes in ie on the desktop
and it works fine.

on the laptop, the same page the font sizes are markedly
different and some fonts that should be smaller are
larger.

both using ie.

any explanation?

IE has a problem with .em specified font-sizes, making them either gigantic
or tiny when resized. To avoid this problem, and achieve the effect you were
looking for, use font-size: 90%; as opposed to font-size: .9em;

Hope that helps,

Phil Thompson
http://www.doubleonegative.com

Alan J. Flavell

IE has a problem with .em specified font-sizes, making them either gigantic
or tiny when resized. To avoid this problem, and achieve the effect you were
looking for, use font-size: 90%;

But not for default text size, please. If you're not happy with the size
of default text on your browser, adjust your browser, not your web page.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, ppcguy quothed:
i use 0.9em to set font sizes in ie on the desktop
and it works fine.

on the laptop, the same page the font sizes are markedly
different and some fonts that should be smaller are
larger.

both using ie.

any explanation?

The laptop becomes aroused when you play with its fonts.