Css? hmmmm

Jom

Hello.

Sorry for perhaps sending this to the wrong news group.

I am relatively new to HTML so I guess this question is a FAQ... I'm sorry
about that too. But searching Dejanews didn't do any good so...

What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want the
same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear. In
my head I picture this header as a table or Div.

I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures, but can I use it
to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page in
my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

I am not asking for a complete answer for my question, but a pointer to some
tutorial or good web sides would be helpful... All I have is Webmonkey.com,
a good site but a bit limited.

Thank you for helping me out here, I would really appreciate it.
c",)

Jon Oskar

David Dorward

Jom said:
What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want
the same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear.
In my head I picture this header as a table or Div.

I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures

No it can't. It can help you with presentation. _Structure_ is the job of
the markup language.
, but can I use it
to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
do as well?

No, CSS can include some short strings (unsupported by MSIE), but it can't
do that level of content.
I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page
in
my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

dmsc17454_2

Use an "include". http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_includes.asp
CSS file contain a
string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page in
my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

What do you mean "text"? Includes could include text into your site.

You can change the font colours/tables etc throughout your site using a CSS
stylesheet - http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Jom said:
[...]

As the others have suggested, use an "Include". This can easily be done
with PHP or ASP. don't be scared by that at all - you dont need to learn
an enturely new language - you just need a web hoster that supports one
of them.

Any questions please feel free to reply back :)

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\

Jom said:
[...]

You can preprocess it using the download at
http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/index.html
(The tiny mcat.pl program from that download will do what you need.
You'll need Perl installed, too, of course.)