CSS Layouts and 100%horizontal height left sidebar

JR

I am new to CSS Layouts so this might be a basic question. I am trying
to create a sidebar pane/layer on the left side using CSS layouts. I
can do this, set its background color, an image in the lower left of
the pane/layer.

The problem occurs when the layer to the right of the pane (i.e. the
body of the web site) has more text that goes beyond the height of the
left sidebar. I want the left sidebar to always go 100% to the bottom
of the page (with my background color). I set the layer height to
100% but this doesn't do it. I read on another message that you need
to do this:

html, body {
height: 100%;
}

This changed things, but it didn't work. This must be an obvious
thing as I'm sure it's been done before using the layout feature. Any
tips for this beginner? Thanks.