Curious problems

Shelly

In a nutshell, I don't get the web page to display other than the code, but
the master page shows all the graphics.

Here is the story:
I've been learning a lot, but still having problems. With all the changes,
I couldn't get the html to display correctly. So, I went back to the php
file that I was trying to redo in aspx and started again. Now I had written
the php module in three parts. The first was called order.php, the second
was orderInclude.php and the third was orderProcess.php. (I had done this
for organizational purposes with ALL my modules and it turns out that it
maps beautifully into the aspx scheme of things.) The first is like the
master page, the second is like the web file and the third is like the vb
file.

Here are the steps I did and the result:
1 - I changed the name of a file called order.php to order.aspx, removed any
php stuff, fixed up some html by adding necessary closing tags and " />
rather than ">", and put it to the server. It displayed just as I had hoped
with the Flash stuff appearing.
2 - I created a new master page with the template in Web Developer called
Second.master. I copied all the stuff in the header from order.aspx to
Second.master's header area. I copied all the stuff in order.aspx before
where I had previously included the reference to orderInclude.php and put it
before the content placeholder. I did the same thing with the stuff after
where I had referenced orderInclude.php and put that after the placeholder.
Now my master page looked very similar to order.aspx, except that it is now
in master page format with a content placeholder. I put that to the server
and it also displayed perfectly (with empty content, of course).
3 - I then created a web page called testing.aspx (again using the template
in Web Developer). It referenced Second.master as the master page. I put
it to the server and when I ran it, it displayed:

<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Second.master"
AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="testing.aspx.vb" Inherits="testing"
title="Untitled Page" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
Runat="Server">
</asp:Content>

The contents of testing.aspx.vb are:

Partial Class testing
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

End Class

4 - If I try to display it in Web Developer, it gives the graphics but not
with the Flash stuff. Also, in Web Developer I can't display the master
page as it is blocked. Why can I do it on the server? Should a ,master
extension also be blocked there?

Any ideas?

Shelly

Shelly

OK, I have advanced to where the graphics is coming out perfectly and I have
completed the page on my machine where I run a local copy of SQLServer
Compact. When I upload to my testing server, I don't expect it to work
because the database is MySQL. However, I would expect the graphics to
work. Instead, it just prints out all the code for the orders.aspx -- just
as it does when the orders.aspx file has no database interaction and only
has the blank content placeholder. So my problems are:

1 - Why would this be happening?
2 - How do I use MySql instead of SqlServer? By ODBC? If so, any pointers
would be appreciated.

Shelly

George Ter-Saakov

Are you sure that you have .NET installed there?

Are you hosting on IIS server?

George.

Shelly

George Ter-Saakov said:
Are you sure that you have .NET installed there?
No.

Are you hosting on IIS server?

No.

I called the host (GoDaddy). It turns out that they do support asp and ,net
but you have to be on their windows system. The account I have is on their
Linux system. Since I am merely using this production site as a place to
learn (if I could), I can't change to the windows system. I will just have
to be satisfied, for now, with creating in on my localhost where I am
running SQLServer Compact 2005.

Thanks for the questions.

Shelly

Mark Rae [MVP]

I called the host (GoDaddy).

Do yourself a *huge* favour and find a decent ISP...

GoDaddy are absolutely useless for ASP.NET developers - you're going to have
problem after problem until you switch...

Shelly

Mark Rae said:
Do yourself a *huge* favour and find a decent ISP...

GoDaddy are absolutely useless for ASP.NET developers - you're going to
have problem after problem until you switch...

I didn't choose them. The last project I was on, I developed the site for
the customer. He had GoDaddy, and I did it in php/MySql. That job is done.
In order to learn asp.net, I am redoing the site on my own time (using it as
an exercise). So, the ISP is irrelevent here. I am using my own computer
as a host and as the development machine for this learning process.

Shelly