curses KEY_* constants

Bill Green

Hello,

According to the documentation for the curses module, there are a number of
constants defined for various special keys (such as KEY_DOWN, KEY_UP,
KEY_BACKSPACE, etc.). However, these do not exist on my system (NetBSD 5).

Looking at _cursesmodule.c, the code that sets up the KEY_ variables is #defined
out on NetBSD (in initcurses() at line 2860 for Python 2.7). Does anyone know
why this is so?

Thanks.

Bill Green

I perhaps should have mentioned I linked the Python curses module against
ncurses rather than BSD curses. Perhaps NetBSD's curses doesn't support this
feature, and that's why it's not included there.

In any case, I removed the relevant #defines in _cursesmodule.c and got a
Python that includes all the KEY_ constants in the curses module, but these
constants (for the arrow keys at least) seem not to match the actual
keycodes.

Bill Green

... but these
constants (for the arrow keys at least) seem not to match the actual
keycodes.

After looking at the documentation again I've realized I needed to enable keypad
mode on the window for curses to catch the escape codes, and now everything's
working.

It seems to me that _cursesmodule.c should check at compile time to
see if the platform is NetBSD AND ncurses isn't being used.

Regards,
Bill