Custom control's events in master pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Mark, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I have designed and written a custom 'menu like' server control. The control
    inherits from DataBoundControl and implements INamingContainer and
    IPostBackEventHandler interfaces. The control uses only html mark-up as it’s
    UI, i.e. tables, table rows and table cells, and no intrinsic html controls
    such as input or select. The control does not implement any client-side
    script and therefore redraws its updated UI on postback through the
    IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent handler method by adding controls to
    the control tree. Everything was working fine until I designated it’s page to
    be of type Master and in the server-side event handler for the Click event I
    redirected to a content page. Now, after the postback occurs and the content
    page is merged with the master page the
    IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent method of the control is no longer
    being called, i.e as if the postback event is not fired for the control. I
    know that in this scenario the master page is now a control within the
    content page. I think I may need to cause some sort of event bubbling from
    the master page but am not sure how to implement this. Is there a way I can
    detect in the Master page whether it is a page or a control and force the
    postback event to occur in the custom control?? Any help would be very much
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark

    Mark, Mar 2, 2007