Custom Forms Question (Drop down menus that know what is selected)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by VastFear, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. VastFear

    VastFear Guest

    Greetings-

    Hard one to explain here:

    I am doing a custom form for a client but not sure how to tell the code to
    do it!

    - They want a drop down menu that has a series of selections.
    - They have another drop down menu that needs to show series of selections
    'based on' what is selected in the first menu.

    For example:
    - Say I have a drop down menu that has: Atari/Playstation in menu
    - Second menu has list of games: River Raid/Pitfall/Resident Evil

    If I choose Atari in the first menu I want the second menu to only show
    River Raid/Pitfall (Resident Evil is not an Atari game). Or if I chose
    Playstation the second menu would only contain Resident Evil) etc.

    (Theirs is based on parts for a race car only certain parts can go with
    other parts)

    I assume there's a java script that tells it to compare or ASP or something.

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Thanks
    Erik

    (This is the site: www.howeracing.com)

    VastFear, Aug 7, 2003

  2. http://developer.irt.org/script/form.htm#4

    Hywel Jenkins, Aug 7, 2003

  3. VastFear

    Richard Guest

    VastFear wrote:>>
    What you need is a multilevel menu array.
    menuitem[0] as you know is single level.
    menuitem[0,0] is a two level array.
    menuitem[0,0,0] is three.

    The trick is, keeping all the items lined up so that menu 1 directs the
    proper response to menu 2 and so on.
    I've only seen a few sites use this feature.
    Another problem is, will it work in all browsers? Maybe not.
    You probably should look for a cgi script that does it.

    Richard, Aug 7, 2003