Custom paging/sorting using Gridviews

Roy

Hey all,

I must be losing my touch. I have made many pages in the 1.1 framework
that utilize custom bidirectional paging in datagrids. We've converted
over to 2.0 and I've been trying to use the built-in functionality of
gridviews and objectdatasource's to accomplish the same thing (w/o
resorting to the 1.1 methodology). I discovered two very nice and
comprehensive articles concerning this:

Custom Paging in ASP.NET 2.0 with SQL Server 2005:

Sorting Custom Paged Results:

....both of which make no sense to me. As I said, I must be losing my
touch. What makes it tricky for me is that while we've upgraded to VS
2005, we're still using SQL Server 2000. Why the two pages are
confusing is that their examples:
1.) don't specifically use SQL Server 2000 as a backend
2.) don't pass in any user-supplied variables to the stored procs (they
always assume you'll be pulling the whole table)
3.) adequately explain some properties, such as "typename" (in some
examples this references a codebehind class...in others it seems to
reference a SQL Server table)
4.) have multiple pages broken up so you must surf back and forth to
get the whole picture

Does anyone have any working code they can post here (code that uses
multiple parameters)?
Or possibly helpful links to better custom paging/sorting resources?