CustomError Problem

Ilyas Osmanogullari

we're developing a project using IIS 7. We re-arranged CustomError property
in Config file.

<customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="~/error.aspx"
redirectMode="ResponseRewrite">
<error statusCode="403" redirect="~/error.aspx" />
<error statusCode="404" redirect="~/error.aspx" />
</customErrors>

when we execute the following requests:

www.domain.com/article
www.domain.com/article.asp

they run correctly in development environment (w/ IIS7), but when we
upload project to the production server (w/ IIS6), we dont see a redirecting
action or the custom error page.

Nanda Lella[MSFT]

What is the Error you get when you run on IIS6?
A generic 404 message?

Did you try to use "RemoteOnly " instead of ON? not that it should matter,
but just a try..
something like...

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.aspx">
<error statusCode="403" redirect="403.aspx" />
<error statusCode="404" redirect="404.aspx" />
</customErrors>

--

Thank You,
Nanda Lella,

This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> they run correctly in development environment (w/ IIS7), but when we
!> upload project to the production server (w/ IIS6), we dont see a redirecting
!> action or the custom error page.

The IIS version doesn't sound like the culprit.
The .Net Framework version is a likelier culprit.

The RedirectMode property is supported in: 3.5 SP1, 3.0 SP2, 2.0 SP2
Are you sure the .Net Framework version on your IIS6 server is at least 2.0 SP2 ?

As far as the code, here's an article which might help you :

http://blog.turlov.com/2009/01/search-engine-friendly-error-handling.html

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=========================

qsyhzs

We see the same problem in 2 out of 3 machines in our env. All
machines runing win2k3 sp2 and have .Net 2.0 sp2, 3.0 sp2, 3.5 sp1
properly registered with IIS6. however redirectMode="ResponseRewrite"
only works on one of the machines and for the other 2 we see iis
generic error messages. Remove redirectMode="ResponseRewrite" cause
the error to be correctly redirect to the custom page on all three
machines. Any suggestions on how we may debug this?

Nanda Lella[MSFT]

Have you tried UnInstalling and Reistalling NetFX 3.5?