Data source not visible by ASP.NET working process on IIS 6.0

Nick Poulis

Hi to all

I face the following problem,

the following code (very simple) is contained in
a referenced class method

Dim cn As New OdbcConnection("DSN=BOC;UID=Admin;PWD=;")
cn.Open()

When aspx page reaches the method containing those lines
I get the following server error:
ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Of course I have checked most possible reasons like DSN name and
it's existence in System DSN and User DSN.

Also checked that this DSN works for example with Access 2000 and
it does retrieve data using it from the source it points.
The IIS 6.0 application working process is running as a user that has
access and owns this DSN but I always get the same error.

It's strange cause there is no problem with IIS 5 and this came up when
the web app was transferred to an Win Server 2003 with IIS 6. Could
it be some security tuning that I have overlooked?

Please any ideas on that error will save my day ;-).

Nick
(e-mail address removed)

Joseph Bittman MCAD

May 29, 2005

At least you aren't in safe mode with a BSOD right now! LOL :) Anyway,
when upgrading to IIS 6.0 the service account IIS runs under changes to
Network Service from ASPNET. Therefore, you will have to change the access
in the DB to reflect Network Service. This is if you have no other settings
in your application's web.config that might change the settings such as
<identity> ? Hope this helps and have a great weekend!

Nick Poulis

Hi Joseph and thanks for your answer,

I'm sure that the asp working process in IIS 6 Application Pool is defined
to run impersonating the user that the DSN belongs to (even though it is also
defined as system DSN). Anyway I'm also sure that the user has access to the
database and have tested it to be true.

I also tried that with the default NETWORK SERVICE account that should have
access to the same DSN defined in System DSN. Still getting the same error.

So people you are (please!! LOL) welcome to come with any more ideas and
PLEASE anyone with any experience with Liant's Relativity for RM COBOL will be
also very helpfull cause this devil's DSN is pointing to that kind of files.
(Why in god's name people still use COBOL!!!!)

Thanks in advance.
Nick Poulis
(e-mail address removed)

--
Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Application Developer

Web Site: http://67.40.28.162