DataGrid Not Sorting

Michael Caruso

My web datagrid isn't sorting at all. I have it wired up to a handler, and I
know the handler is working (being called), but no sorting. The page just
posts back with the same data. I hhave verified that the SortExpression
values are the column names. I used the VS IDE to create a datasource ( a
DataSet), defined a table and columns, then used the datagrid Propery Builder
to tie eveything together. The table gets populated with data correctly, I
just can't get it to sort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brock Allen

If you're using a DataGrid then you have to do the sorting yourself in the
Sort event and rebind the DataGrid. It doesn't sort by itself, unfortunately.

Michael Caruso

Yep, I'm doing that. The OnSortCommand handler retrieves a dataset from a
session variable (created when the page loaded), creates a dataview, then
sorts on the SortExpression from the column clicked, assigns the DataSource
and then rebinds the grid. Only it doesn't work. It acts like DataView.Sort
doesn't work. I tried setting the intial sort expression to a different
column when the page loads, that doesn't work either.

Brock Allen

Hmm, not sure then. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I'd suggest
making a new project with one page with the one grid and try to see if you
can make it work outside of everything else -- more of a sanity check. If
you can get that working then it's not the code you have for the grid, it's
likley code elsewhere in the page that's thwarting the sort.

Michael Caruso

I'd considered doing that, but what I do if it does work? What kinds of
things would prevent the sort from working? I've never tried using the sort
feature on a datagrid before so this is new territory. I've used dataviews
before, and implemented sorting, but I've never used the datagrid component
before like this. Could there be something in the way the DataSource is
defined in the page that affects the sorting?

Brock Allen

Well, try it in the standalong page and if you can't get that to work send
me an email and I can give you a working sample.

Michael Caruso

Well, I finally got the Sort to work. I built a test page in my project
using a sample I found in MSDN. That worked, so I compared the two and the
only difference was my problem page was using a DataSet stored in a session
variable and the example was using a DataTable. I changed my code around to
use a DataTable instead and, voila! It sorted.

Now my only question is, how do I get the column links to use my default
style for navigation? I set the Class value (in the HeaderStyle property) to
use the style in my Style Sheet but it appears to be ignoring it. I just get
the default browser styles for <a> tags.

Thx,

Michael