Datalist and CSS positioning

Eric

I have a page with some ASP.NET controls at the top and a datalist which
might include anything from 1 to 25 elements below them, all laid out
with absolute CSS positioning.

The problem I'm having is that when the datalist goes off the bottom of
the page and adds a scrollbar (which in itself is fine with me), the the
last element of the list runs right up against the browser status bar,
with none of the whitespace I would expect. If I don't use the CSS
positioning, then there's some whitespace between the bottom of the list
and the status bar, as I would expect.

What causes this and is there a workaround?