DBIx::Simple, authentication fails

Justin Catterall

I have the following code to connect to a database:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings ;
use strict ;
use DBIx::Simple ;
use SQL::Abstract ;
use CGI qw/:standard/ ;
use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/ ;

my $dataSource ;

db_connect() ;

print "Connected\n";

sub db_connect {
my $user = "name" ;
my $password = "password" ;
my $dataSource = DBIx::Simple->connect(
'dbi:pg:database=prospects', $user, $password,
{ RaiseError => 1 , AutoCommit => 0 }
) or die DBI::Simple->error ;
}

If I run this from the command line "Connected" gets printed. If I run
it from a browser I get:

DBI connect('database=prospects','justin',...) failed: FATAL: Ident
authentication failed for user "justin" at
/var/www/inhouse/prospects/demo.cgi line 22

Does anyone know why this should be?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Paul Lalli

I have the following code to connect to a database:

If I run this from the command line "Connected" gets printed. If I run
it from a browser I get:

DBI connect('database=prospects','justin',...) failed: FATAL: Ident
authentication failed for user "justin" at
/var/www/inhouse/prospects/demo.cgi line 22

Does anyone know why this should be?

The user you're logged in as on the command line has access to the
database. The user your webserver is running as does not.

Fix the access permissions to your database.

See also:
$ perldoc -q 500
Found in /software/perl-5.8.5-0/pkg/lib/5.8.5/pod/perlfaq9.pod
My CGI script runs from the command line but not the
browser. (500 Server Error)

Paul Lalli

Justin C

The user you're logged in as on the command line has access to the
database. The user your webserver is running as does not.

Fix the access permissions to your database.

See also:
$ perldoc -q 500
Found in /software/perl-5.8.5-0/pkg/lib/5.8.5/pod/perlfaq9.pod
My CGI script runs from the command line but not the
browser. (500 Server Error)

Thank you Paul, adding www-data to the list of database users fixed
this.

Justin.