    im getting this error how can i solve it..
    yesterday the codes work but i setup visual studio 6.0 now it doesnt
    works..

    Savas Ates, Sep 29, 2004

  2. What does your connection string look like? Are you connecting to the SQL
    Server by its host name? If so, can your server resolve that name? Is
    there a firewall in between? Is the server's network cable unplugged?

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 29, 2004

  3. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I have the same problem. We recently moved our ASP app from Windows 2000 to
    Windows 2003 Web servers, and when we did this our problems started popping
    up. When we moved to the new servers, we also changed the connect strings
    from using ODBC DSN's to OLEDB connect strings. To troubleshoot if that was
    the cause, we copied the modified app back to the 2000 box, complete with
    the new connect strings, and never saw the error happen there. We've tried
    adding adding "Network Library=dbmssocn" into our connect strings, but that
    didn't help. We added the SQL server to the hosts & lmhosts.sam files, and
    did the same on the SQL server (added the web servers to the files) - but
    that didn't help. We used the client network utility to enable both TCP/IP
    & Named Pipes on the web servers - but that didn't help.

    I've seen too many other posts on google to believe that this is an isolated
    problem. I've also seen posts that made me believe that this has something
    to do with going from Win2000 to Win2003.

    The error is very sporadic. We have 100+ users on the app all day long, and
    only every once in a while the error happens. If the user hits refresh
    right after the error, the connection work just fine.

    Please help!

    Scott Ivey

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Are you connecting to the server by name, external IP, internal IP, ...?

    Can you show the connection string that doesn't work and the ODBC parameters
    that work?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 9, 2004
  5. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I've tried the following connect strings...

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
    ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"
    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial
    Catalog=RPM;User ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"
    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
    ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx;Network Library=dbmssocn"
    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial
    Catalog=RPM;User ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx;Network Library=dbmssocn"

    I'm currently using string #2 above. The ODBC DSN's were system DSN's, and
    used the DB name, username, & password as above.

    Using #2, I can connect a thousand times successfully, and have 1 error
    somewhere in the middle.

    The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they all
    have hard wired hosts files - so I can't imagine that resolving the other
    server is a problem.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  6. The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they all
    For #2, have you tried using an IP address instead of a server name? DNS
    (not DSN), WINS etc. can be flaky occasionally, and I'm sure that could
    account for 1 in 1000. It could also be the switch going down briefly, or
    some other network glitch.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 9, 2004
  7. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I'm going to try going by IP address tonight. Shouldn't using a hosts file
    entry override any DNS issues?

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  8. I know that the web browser uses the hosts fle, but I'm not confident ado
    will do the same thing. I'm pretty sure SQL Server, at least, will attempt
    to use the client network library before it ever looks at the hosts file.
    Did you set up anything in the client network library? Are you planning to
    change the IP (in other words, is there some big reservation against
    changing the IP instead of continuing to kludge a hosts file)?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 9, 2004
  9. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I have no problem with hardwiring the IP - I don't expect that to change
    anytime soon :) I just added 2 aliases for the server (revsq01 &
    revsql01.revonet.local) in the client network utility using TCP/IP and
    pointing at the IP address of the server instead of the DNS name. Hopefully
    this will fix it :)

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    Well, I added the 2 aliases..

    revsql01 - TCP/IP - pointed to the SQL IP address, dynamic port number
    revsql01.revonet.local - TCP/IP - pointed to the SQL IP address, dynamic
    port number

    My connect string is "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data
    Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
    ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"

    and a half hour later, I'm getting errors. guess that isn't the fix. damn!

    I've tried everything I can think of, and still am struggling.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  11. revsql01 - TCP/IP - pointed to the SQL IP address, dynamic port number
    Is it running on port 1433, or another port?

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 9, 2004
  12. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I haven't changed anything from the default, so yes.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Have you tried connecting with a different user name? And/or using the
    shorter server name (not sure what you're gaining from
    revsql01.revonet.local, unless you're trying to practice your typing
    skills)? And/or using the IP address in the connection string?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 9, 2004
  14. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    Haven't tried different users. I had the FQDN in the connect string because
    I thought that would fix any DNS resolution problems, if that was the
    problem. I'm going to try putting the IP address directly in the connect
    string tonight - can't do it during the day without causing an application
    restart.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    The strange thing about it all is that when I copy the entire web directory,
    including any connection strings, back to my win2000 server, everything
    works fine - no errors ever.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I changed the connect string to use the IP address - and still get the
    errors. I don't get it - this just should not be happening. New connect
    string is...

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=192.168.200.40;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
    ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"

    MS - are you watching this post??? I'm posting with my MSDN alias - and
    we're now at the deadline for resolution for my MSDN Managed Newsgroup
    support. I had opened a support incident before posting this, but had
    opened it with the Cluster group (since the website is on 2 servers running
    NLBS), and they were unable to help me, so I cancelled the ticket. Anyone
    have any ideas on which group should handle this?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  17. You should try forcing TCP/IP to be used with the Network Library attribute
    in your connection string.:

    Network Library=DBMSSOCN;"

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 11, 2004
  18. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I've tried that, but it didn't help. I've also used the Client Network
    Utility to force TCP/IP, but that didn't help either.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Then I don't understand why you are seeing DBNETLIB in your error
    statement...

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 11, 2004
  20. Savas Ates