    DBNETLIB is correct - that is the OLEDB compenent for SQL server, and is
    used for TCP/IP connections - isn't it???

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I've done that. Also made an ASP page that used the same connect string in
    a loop to open & close the connection 250k times, and can't reproduce the
    error. All I know is that every connection uses the same connect string
    (application variable in asp), and that the errors are sporadic, but
    continue to happen on a daily basis, no matter what I change.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    Did I maybe do this wrong? I'm thinking it should be...

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01;Address=192.168.200.40,1433;Initial
    Catalog=RPM;User ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"

    Does anyone think this will make any difference?

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Did I maybe do this wrong? I'm thinking it should be...
    Why do you have Data Source and Address different? Where did you get the
    Address parameter (I've never used that with an OLEDB string)?

    How about:

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=192.168.200.40,1433;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
    ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 11, 2004
  6. Savas Ates

    Mark Schupp Guest

    If you were to pick a specific page would you be confident that it would
    have errors within a reasonable time period (say 24 hours)?

    If so, I would put an error trap around the open statement in a page, log
    the error to a text file when it happens and retry opening the connection
    after a short delay. If it is successful then log that re-try succeeded.

    You can do a crude delay (this is a cpu-killer so only use it for
    debugging).
    t = timer() + 100
    do while timer()<t
    loop

    Mark Schupp, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    I ran across the Address parameter on MS's support site in some articles. I
    had never heard of that parameter either until researching this problem.
    I've tried using the IP address as the data source, but that didn't cure my
    problems.

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  8. I suspect this means that your server is not set up with the TCP/IP library.
    You need to run SQL Server setup to verify this.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 11, 2004
  9. t = timer() + 100
    Or if you can connect to a local SQL Server, you can connect and then call
    WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:02' ... which can simulate a sleep() call in ASP.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 11, 2004
  10. Savas Ates

    Scott Ivey Guest

    We're using TCP/IP - and all of the connections are showing as TCP/IP thru
    the enterprise manager. I just thought it was interesting that the newer
    versions of ADO will actually try using Named Pipes if your initial TCP/IP
    connection attempt returns any sort of error. I tried setting it up to do
    this, but that didn't work either :(

    Scott

    Scott Ivey, Nov 11, 2004
  11. Savas Ates

    Tony Fonager Guest

    HI Scott,

    We have been battling the EXACT same problem for over 1 year now - our huge
    app works perfectly on Windows 2000 server, but after moving same app to
    Windows 2003, we every few hours or maybe more, suddenly gets hundreds of
    script errors (we log all errors to central database), with the same error
    as you :

    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
    denied.

    I am running my app on HP DL380 server, on a HP ProCurve switched network,
    and all other applications, running on the same networks, has NO errors, so
    I think we can leave network connectivity out of the question.

    I have had Microsoft Consulting Services on this case, and they helped
    setting up the correct connectionstring, when moving to Windows 2003, but
    that did not remove the errors.

    It really seems like a generel error, which has nothing to do with our code
    ???

    Please let me know, if you ever solve the problem - we have had this very
    frustrating error for over 1 year now!!!

    Regards,
    Tony Fonager, Denmark

    Tony Fonager, Nov 19, 2004
  12. Savas Ates

    Tony Fonager Guest

    Scott,

    Yes, that is exactly the same way we have this error.

    It is SO frustrating ... and at the same time, my other ASP apps (on Windows
    2000) continues without any single connection error, using the same SQL
    database on the same network!

    Regards,
    Tony Fonager, Denmark

    Tony Fonager, Nov 19, 2004