dbReader closing prematurely

tshad

I have a section of code that is giving me an error:
Invalid attempt to Read when reader is closed.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Invalid attempt to Read
when reader is closed.

Source Error:

Line 1701: dbReader =
myDBObject.RunProcedure("GetScreenQuestions",parameters)
Line 1702:trace.warn("Before dbReader.Read")
Line 1703: while dbReader.Read() <-
error is here 2nd time around
Line 1704:trace.warn("inside dbRead.Read")
Line 1705: redim parameters(6)

My code is:
Dim myDbObject as new DbObject()
Dim dbReader As SqlDataReader

dbReader = myDBObject.RunProcedure("GetScreenQuestions",parameters)
trace.warn("Before dbReader.Read")
while dbReader.Read()
trace.warn("inside dbRead.Read")
redim parameters(6)
parameters(0) = new
SqlParameter("@ScreenQuestionsTemplateID",SqlDBType.Int)
parameters(1) = new SqlParameter("@Question",SqlDBType.VarChar,250)
parameters(2) = new SqlParameter("@QuestionType",SqlDBType.Char,2)
parameters(3) = new SqlParameter("@SortOrder",SqlDBType.SmallInt)
parameters(4) = new SqlParameter("@Answers",SqlDBType.SmallInt)
parameters(5) = new SqlParameter("@Weight",SqlDBType.SmallInt)
parameters(6) = new SqlParameter("@ScreenTemplateMasterID",SqlDBType.Int)

parameters(0).Value = dbReader("ScreenQuestionsTemplateID")
parameters(1).Value = dbReader("Question")
parameters(2).Value = dbReader("QuestionType")
parameters(3).Value = dbReader("SortOrder")
parameters(4).Value = dbReader("Answers")
parameters(5).Value = dbReader("Weight")
parameters(6).Value = ScreenTemplateMasterID

Call myDbObject.RunProcedure("CopyScreenTemplateFromTemplate",parameters)
end while

RunProcedure is my own Database Object.

The first RunProcedure passes back a DataReader (dbReader) and it works fine
the first time through.

But apparently the call to RunProcedure is killing or closing dbReader. Why
would that be?

I am not reusing the DataReader, just using doing a Call.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest

Tom,
A SqlDataReader is a forward-only "firehose" style data object. This means
you only get to read through it "One Time". After you are done with the
Reader, you need to Close it and optionally close the underlying
SqlConnection if you haven't specified CommandBehavior.CloseConnection.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

tshad

Peter Bromberg said:
Tom,
A SqlDataReader is a forward-only "firehose" style data object. This
means
you only get to read through it "One Time". After you are done with the
Reader, you need to Close it and optionally close the underlying
SqlConnection if you haven't specified CommandBehavior.CloseConnection.

That I understand.

But if I comment out the RunProcedure in the While loop, it goes through it
about 10 times (as there are 10 records).

If I don't, I get the error on the 2nd While statement (which is after the
RunProcedure was run for the first time). It appears to have closed the
dbReader before I have read through it.

Thanks,

Tom