Debugging ASP

GriffithsJ

Hi

I've just inherited a web site. Someone's just asked me "what database
table fields are looked at in a particular search?"

You'd think this would be easy, but I'm looking at an ASP page that when
printed out is >16 pages and has 20 include files. And no comments. It's
just a series of scary logic.

I really need to run this though in "debug mode", seeing what every variable
is set to at each stage. If this were an ASP page calling a VB COM object
I'd have no problems, however, I've no idea how to trap this in debug mode
using standard ASP code. I know the debugger often start up when there's an
error in the code, but there isn't. So, can anyone enlighten me as to how I
can step into code using simple ASP (not .Net).

Many thanks in advance.

Griff

Rob Meade

So, can anyone enlighten me as to how I
can step into code using simple ASP (not .Net).

I think the majority of people would just use

Response.Write strVariable

and maybe to halt the app

Response.End

Its a bit of a pain if there are lots of variables - but it shouldn't be too
hard to locate the database stuff, although thats likely to be a manual read
of each include to find it I would guess...

Hope this helps...

Rob

Bob Barrows

GriffithsJ said:
Hi

I've just inherited a web site. Someone's just asked me "what
database table fields are looked at in a particular search?"

You'd think this would be easy, but I'm looking at an ASP page that
when printed out is >16 pages and has 20 include files. And no
comments. It's just a series of scary logic.

I really need to run this though in "debug mode", seeing what every
variable is set to at each stage. If this were an ASP page calling a
VB COM object I'd have no problems, however, I've no idea how to trap
this in debug mode using standard ASP code. I know the debugger
often start up when there's an error in the code, but there isn't.
So, can anyone enlighten me as to how I can step into code using
simple ASP (not .Net).

Many thanks in advance.

Griff

For server-side script debugging, you will need to get Visual Interdev. I
know of no other option, besides liberal use of response.write.

If you are using SQL Server, you can use SQL Profiler to at least see the
SQL statements being used.

Sorry,
Bob Barrows

Jeff Cochran

I've just inherited a web site. Someone's just asked me "what database
table fields are looked at in a particular search?"

Find the SQL call and Response.Write the SQL statement right before
it.

Man, you'd think I wrote it then... :)
I really need to run this though in "debug mode", seeing what every variable
is set to at each stage. If this were an ASP page calling a VB COM object
I'd have no problems, however, I've no idea how to trap this in debug mode
using standard ASP code. I know the debugger often start up when there's an
error in the code, but there isn't. So, can anyone enlighten me as to how I
can step into code using simple ASP (not .Net).

Visual Interdev is about it I think.

Jeff

Bullschmidt

<<
I've just inherited a web site. Someone's just asked me "what database
table fields are looked at in a particular search?"
There might be an area that has something like this:
strSQL = "SELECT LName, FName, Company FROM MyTable ORDER BY LName,
FName"

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com