Debugging in Python

Vicent Giner

Hello again.

Thank you for the answers I got to my previous question. All of them
were very useful to me.

I want to know if I have understood well the way I can work with
Python.

As far as I've understood, [the free version of] ActivePython is just
a [good, ready-to-work] Python distribution. Also, it contains and
editor, PythonWin Editor.

Has that editor the ability of performing good debugging tasks? I
mean, is it enough for doing debugging?

I pose this question because I've seen there is Komodo Editor and its
non-free version Komodo IDE. For me, Komodo Editor has a very good
interface. And the only feature I would like to get from the non-free
version of Komodo is the ability of debugging. But I won't by it if I
can have nearly the same with PythonWin Editor.

In your opinion, what other benefits from non-free Komodo are worth
it, if compared with PythonWin?

Can people with more experience in Python programming help me??

Thank you in advance!

Colin J. Williams

Vicent said:
Hello again.

Thank you for the answers I got to my previous question. All of them
were very useful to me.

I want to know if I have understood well the way I can work with
Python.

As far as I've understood, [the free version of] ActivePython is just
a [good, ready-to-work] Python distribution. Also, it contains and
editor, PythonWin Editor.

Has that editor the ability of performing good debugging tasks? I
mean, is it enough for doing debugging?

Vincent,

The best way to answer your question is
to try it out.

You can set breakpoints, Step into, Step
over and Step Out. You can inspect
variables in the current context, using
the Interpreter Window.

You can view the stack and set watches.

Alternatively, you could consider
PyScripter, which is an excellent
development tool.

I know nothing about Komodo.

Colin W.

Stef Mientki

The debugging ability of the Komodo IDE is _significantly_ better than
the freely available debuggers. If you like the Komodo Editor, you'll
love the debugger.
hi Scott, can you tell us,
why Komodo debugger is better than PyScripter or even Winpdb(rpdb2) used
in most python build IDE's ?
thanks,
Stef Mirntki

Stef Mientki

Scott said:
Sorry, "better at the time I investigated it" is more like it.
At this point it is fine for me, and it was years ago when I
was looking. The impression I got was, "this product actually
paid for itself in debugging time in under five days," including
the amount of toll-learning I had to do as lost time. That made
the purchase clearly worth it. Since then, I've been happy enough
to not have done any further investigations.
Thanks for the information Scott.
I asked the question,
because I'm not completely satisfied with even the "best" debuggers,
most of the good ones are too difficult,
so I want to wrap rpdb2 and
don't want to miss any great features ;-)

cheers,
Stef

Scott David Daniels

Stef said:
.... I'm not completely satisfied with even the "best" debuggers,
most of the good ones are too difficult,
so I want to wrap rpdb2 and
don't want to miss any great features ;-)

I think ActiveState has a free 21-day trial, so you could check it out
yourself if you are willing to spend the concentrated time to check it
out. I suggest it will likely be worth your time unless you are
unalterably opposed to spending money on development products.
Yheir license terms are reasonable (the license is attached to _you_,
not a particular machine you run it on, as I remember.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Trent Mick

Scott said:
I think ActiveState has a free 21-day trial, so you could check it out
yourself if you are willing to spend the concentrated time to check it
out.

That is correct. Also the Python debugging docs are here, if that might
help:
http://docs.activestate.com/komodo/5.0/debugpython.html
Their license terms are reasonable (the license is attached to _you_,
not a particular machine you run it on, as I remember.

Also correct: with a Komodo IDE license you can use Komodo on any
machine that you use.

Trent