DetailsView programmatically enter Insert Mode

Don

I have a detailsView that I use with a GridView. When a row is
selected I show the GridView with a default mode of Edit. This shows
my fields with text boxes for changing the data. It also has the
update and cancel buttons.

Now I need to put the DetailsView into Insert mode when a button is
clicked. In the button clicked event handler, in the code behind, I
change to insert mode with this code:
dvSingleRow.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.Insert);

This takes me into InsertMode but I do not see any of the fields. If
I first select a row and then click the insert button I see all my
fields.

I am using autoGenerateRows=true because by ObjectDataSource is
dynamic and I may have different columns.

Phil H

I have a detailsView that I use with a GridView.  When a row is
selected I show the GridView with a default mode of Edit.  This shows
my fields with text boxes for changing the data.  It also has the
update and cancel buttons.

Now I need to put the DetailsView into Insert mode when a button is
clicked.  In the button clicked event handler, in the code behind, I
change to insert mode with this code:
dvSingleRow.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.Insert);

This takes me into InsertMode but I do not see any of the fields.  If
I first select a row and then click the insert button I see all my
fields.

I am using autoGenerateRows=true because by ObjectDataSource is
dynamic and I may have different columns.

It may be that you need to execute the DataBind method in the code for
the event handler so as to refresh databound controls in response to
state changes.

Don

I tried that but still get the same results.
I put a breakpoint in the DataBound event and I see that
sender.DataItem is null when I call dataBind from by insert click
event handler.

fs241690

It can happen if the DetailsView is linked to a GridView witch
SelectedIndex = -1.
Did you try this ?

GridView1.SelectedIndex = 0;
DetailsView1.ChangeMode(DetailsViewMode.Insert);